subpage flowers image

Child Development

Child Development Permits

What are Child Development Permits?

Child Development Permits are credentials awarded by the State of California. Employers may require their employees to have permits, or may find employees with permits highly desirable.

Permits are available at various levels. Each level has one or more ways to qualify. Individuals must meet all of the requirements listed in one of the available options. Individuals should review all available options and complete the one that best reflects their own education and/or experience.

Levels of the Child Development Permit

  • Child Development Assistant Permit
  • Child Development Associate Teacher Permit
  • Child Development Teacher Permit
  • Child Development Master Teacher Permit
  • Child Development Site Supervisor Permit
  • Child Development Program Director Permit
    (from the CTC website)

How can I get help?

  • Do you have questions about what classes to take?
  • Do you need to know what level you qualify for?
  • Do you need help setting a permit goal?
  • Are you confused by the application process?

You can contact Nicole Kerbey, our CA Child Development Permit Advisor (and full-time instructor) for guidance!

She can advise you via e-mail, over the phone, or by appointment to see her in person. Email her today at


Located at the Foothill College Sunnyvale Center

Change young lives Be a lifelong learner

Earn an Assistant Teacher Permit in One Year

Foothill College is a partner in the Teacher Pipeline Program, with locations in Redwood City and Menlo Park. Fall classes held Mondays and Wednesdays 6-7:50 p.m. and Saturdays 9 a.m.-12:50 p.m. LEARN MORE
image descriptive text

We're Here to Help!

Child Development Department


Sunnyvale Campus, 211Q