CARES Emergency Relief Fund
Foothill College students who have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic may apply for emergency relief support from the college.
Please fill out this short form so that we may understand your needs as best we can. We will review your request and get back to you as soon as possible.
Other Ways to Reach Out
Let us know what else you need.
Please reach out by email to email@example.com and we'll reach back!
About the Cares Act Critieria
- We, Foothill College, certify that we have signed and returned to the Department of Education (DOE) the required Certification and Agreement. We fully intend to use at least 50% of the funds received under Section 1804(a)(1) of the CARES Act to provide emergency financial aid grants to enrolled students.
- The total amount of funds expected to be received from the DOE, and to be utilized for emergency financial aid grants to students is – $1,200,719.00
- The total amount of funds expended to students as of 08-19-2020 is $1,014,500.00.
- The approximate number of students eligible to participate, under preliminary injunction status, not excluding exclusively online students, is 12,451.
- The total number of students who have received emergency financial aid grants as of 08-19-2020 is 1,639.
- The process of CARES Act fund determination starts with a ‘student needs’ form being submitted by interested students. That list of students with their COVID-19 related expenses who submitted the form is run through Institutional Research (IR) to check for exclusively online students as of 3-13-2020 (Per DOE requirements) and to check for citizen status. Those allowable COVID-19 related expenses that are fundable by the CARES Act are coded and a set dollar amount per requested need is compiled. The offered funds are then disbursed into the Foothill College Student account for a 100% refund to students.
- An email is sent to each individual student within 24-hours of the weekly refund. See below for current text.
Email Text Sent to Students Who Apply
Thank you for submitting an emergency relief request. Please note that funds provided by the Federal Stimulus Act - CARES Act - are provided as emergency financial aid grants to assist students with expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to COVID-19 and are intended to soften its impact on your educational experience.
While we were not always able to provide for all the needs that students have indicated, due to CARES Act limitations, we are happy to say we were able to award you some funds. Your award can be used on any expense that is related to the change in your class or technology needs, and you do not need to report back to the college on how you spend the funds. Recently the Department of Education and the IRS indicated that these funds are NOT going to be taxed. However, we will still provide you with a 1098T form for review at the filing of your 2020 taxes.
If you are awarded emergency relief funds, a refund check may be mailed to your U.S. Permanent or Financial Aid address on file with the school. Therefore, it is important that you check all of your address types through your student portal to make sure they are current (MyPortal > My Profile > Change Addresses or Phones). If you need to make any updates, follow the steps listed below:
Log in to your student portal.
Click on "My Profile" on the left-hand side of the screen.
Click on "Change Addresses or Phones".
Click on "Update Addresses and Phones" towards the bottom of the screen.
Click on "Current" for each address type you need to update.
Make the necessary changes and then click "Submit" at the bottom of the page.
We sincerely hope that you will stay in college and continue to thrive. Foothill College will continue to provide the support resources you need to be fully successful. The learning environment has shifted dramatically over the last few months and, while this brings many challenges, Foothill College will support you in this effort. In summary, please reach out to us for help (academically, personally, or financially) and we will do our best to provide everything you need to be successful.
We will be sure to notify you if there are future additional funds available or the federal government approves another student-focused stimulus act.
We're Here to Help!
Student & Faculty Support Center
Building 5200, Room 5211
Connect by Phone or Zoom
Talk or text with a Student & Faculty Support Center representative.
650.308.8067 (9 a.m.–5 p.m.)
650.949.7249 (After Hours Voicemail)