Questions to Ask
Bring this list of questions with you when meeting with a university admission representative. Download a PDF version
- What opportunities would I have if I majored in [blank] at your institution?
- What differentiates your program in [blank] from programs offered at other U.S. universities?
- My favorite subject in school is [blank]. How can that translate into a major at your school?
- What happens if I want to change my major?
- What happens if I need to return home for a semester? Can I suspend my studies for a period of time and then come back?
- How much am I going to pay each year to attend your school?
- Can you tell me about other fees and costs in addition to tuition?
- What kinds of scholarships for international students do you offer?
- Are there separate deadlines for admission and scholarship applications?
- What percentage of the annual cost to attend your school can be covered by scholarships?
- What percentage of international students receive financial aid, and what is the average aid amount?
- What opportunities are there for on-campus employment?
- What kinds of qualifications do international students who are admitted to your school have?
- Can you give me an idea of how the visa and I-20 processes work?
- What are some examples of internships held by students majoring in [blank] at your school?
- Is there someone at your school who will help me find an internship?
- How will your program in [blank] help me achieve my career goals?
- What career services are available for international students at your school?
- Are English as a second language, or ESL, courses offered at your school?
- I’ve already taken an English language exam such as the TOEFL or the IELTS. Are there any programs at your school that will accept my score?
- Does your school offer an intensive English program?
- Is tutoring available?
- What is the trip like to get to campus from my home country? Will someone be there to pick me up at the airport?
- How would you assess safety on campus, and where can I get more information?
- What student clubs are available?
- Would it be possible for me to create my own student organization? What is that process like?
- What housing and meal plan options are available?