Language Arts/ESLL Assessment
Foothill’s Language Arts Guided Self-Placement is designed to accomplish two goals.
- First, it will help decide whether English Composition (English 1A) or English for Second Language Learners courses are most appropriate for you.
- Second, you will be able to self-place into an English 1A or ESLL course based on your self-assessment.
Once a language arts pathway is determined, students will:
- Learn about the different English 1A or ESLL courses offered at Foothill College
- Complete self-diagnostics, review sample course material, and self-reflect
- Self-place into a course you feel is most appropriate for skill level
You will be able to see sample material and switch between different courses and pathways to review the content.
The goal of guided self-placement is for you to decide what course is best for you based on your self-assessment. However, if you are still not sure which course to choose, it is recommended to meet with a college counselor to help you decide.
Please take the Guided Self-Placement for Language Arts seriously as it will determine your placement and can only be done one time.
English 1A and ESLL Course Comparison
ESLL Course Levels & Descriptions
ESLL Level 5
ESLL 125 + ESLL 249
ESLL 125 Composition & Reading and ESLL 249 Advanced Reading are designed to help students prepare for English 1A. Students will receive explicit instruction in critical reading and composition skills. These courses do not fulfill degree regquirements for English.
ESLL Level 4
ESLL 236 + ESLL 237
ESLL 236 Advanced Grammar and ESLL 237 Basic Composition Skills are designed to teach students advanced English grammar and focuses on college level reading and writing skills. Students will also produce short multi-paragraph compositions.
ESLL Level 3
ESLL 226 + ESLL 227
ESLL 226 High-intermediate Grammar and ESLL 227 High-intermediate Reading Skills are designed to teach students English grammar and develop reading comprehension skills & strategies. These courses prepare students for pre-college leve reading and writing.