Assessment for Placement
Who should take Guided Self-Placement?
Guided self-placement is available for students who do not have an American style 4.0 grade point average (GPA) scale transcript.
Students may not have high school transcripts because:
- You did not attend high school
- You did not complete high school
- You did not attend high school in the United States
- Your high school did not use a 4.0 GPA scale
- You do not have access to your high school transcripts
If any of these descriptions fit your situation, your placement will be completed through the guided self-placement process. Please email email@example.com to request the guided self-placement.
What is Guided Self-Placement and how does it work?
Guided Self-placement is a secondary placement tool reserved for students without a high school transcript. Through guided self-placement students will:
- Learn about the English, ESLL, and math courses offered at Foothill College
- Self-reflect on your confidence level and proficiency in those areas
- Complete self-diagnostics, view sample problems and sample assignments
- Ultimately, you will choose an English, ESLL, or math course that is most appropriate for you
If you should need or want to retake The Guided Self-Placement, you are able to do so. The Guided Self-Placement for Math may be taken as many times as you like; the Guided Self-Placement for Language Arts or ESLL may be taken twice.
Once you have completed the guided self-placement, please allow 48 hours for your results to be posted on your MyPortal account. If at any time during the assessment you have questions contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select a Subject
Learn more about each guided self-placement tool for Math and Language Arts.
Math Guided Self-Placement
Choosing the right math course depends on your major and educational goals. Based on these decisions your math pathway could have one math course or several. Guided Self-placement for math will help you decide what math course you want to begin with.
Through the guided self-placement process, you will:
- Learn about the different math courses offered at Foothill College
- Complete self-diagnostics based on your confidence level and review course material
- Choose an appropriate math course based on your major and educational goals
You will be able to see sample problems and switch between different math courses to review the content. The goal of guided self-placement is for you to decide what course is best for you based on your self-assessment. However, if you are still not sure which math course to choose, it is recommended to meet with a college counselor to help you decide.
The Guided Self-Placement for math may be taken as many times as you would like.
Language Arts: English/ESLL Guided Self-Placement
Foothill’s Language Arts Guided Self-Placement is designed to accomplish two goals. First, it will help decide whether English Composition (English 1A) or English for Second Language Learners courses are most appropriate for you. Second, you will be able to self-place into an English 1A or ESLL course based on your self-assessment.
Once a language arts pathway is determined, students will:
- Learn about the different English 1A or ESLL courses offered at Foothill College
- Complete self-diagnostics, review sample course material, and self-reflect
- Self-place into a course you feel is most appropriate for skill level
You will be able to see sample material and switch between different courses and pathways to review the content.
The goal of guided self-placement is for you to decide what course is best for you based on your self-assessment. However, if you are still not sure which course to choose, it is recommended to meet with a college counselor to help you decide.
The Guided Self-Placement for Language Arts can be taken twice for your convenience.
To learn more: