COVID-19 vaccine/positive test reporting required for on-campus classes. Masks strongly recommended and may be required in some offices and classrooms. See details here

Cherry Blossoms

Current International Students

Transferring to a New School

International students with F-1 visa who are transferring from one school to another are required to complete a special immigration transfer process. Failure to comply with the transfer regulations in a timely manner can be a violation of immigration regulations.

Transfer Out of Foothill

You must be fully admitted by the school/university to which you intend to transfer. Conditional Admission does not count. Please note that if you do not meet the condition specified by the new school, they will rescind your admission.

Submit the following documents to the International Student Office:

  • A copy of your acceptance letter
  • Transfer Out Request Form

Your new school may also give you its own transfer form to be completed by our office. If so, include the form with your acceptance letter and completed Transfer Out Request Form.

You cannot request a transfer out until the 9th week of the quarter. If you believe you have a special situation, meet with an immigration advisor during drop-in hours. Once you submit these documents, our international student advisor will review your documents and verify that you are in lawful immigration status. Since the review process can take 1 to 2 weeks, please submit your request as early as possible. If approved, Foothill will enter the name of the school/university you want to transfer to and the "release date" into SEVIS. The "release date" is the official last day of your last quarter as stated in the Foothill College schedule. Foothill cannot change your transfer after the release date.


How do I receive an I-20 from the New School?

Please contact your new school to find out specific procedures required to receive your new I-20. Your new school cannot issue an I-20 until it is released by your current school.


I want to travel before I begin classes at the New School.

If you travel outside the USA, you must use the I-20 of the new school to return to the USA. It is a violation of immigration regulations to use the Foothill I-20 to reenter if you are going to attend another school/university.


Do I need a new F-1 visa because I am changing schools and the name of the new school is not on my visa?

No, you do not have to apply for a new F-1 visa even if the name of the new school is not on your current unexpired visa. However, if your F-1 visa is expired and you plan to travel outside the U.S.  before starting with your new school,  you need to reapply for a new F-1 visa.

ph default text

We're Here to Help!

International Student Programs Office


Administration Building 1900 Room 1933

Connect with us on social media!

Facebook logoInstagram LogoYouTube Logo