The Guardian Scholars Network connects students who are current and former foster youth to student support and academic services to help with achieving their educational goals.
Preparing to attend Foothill College
Apply for Financial Aid
To determine your eligibility for the following programs and more, complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) or the CADAA (California Dream Act Application), which ever applies (Definitions for applications can be found HERE):
- Cal Grant (Strongly encouraged to apply by March 2. Foster Youth after the age of 13 can apply through September 2. )
- Foothill College Promise: Free tuition and Textbooks for Full-time, first-time college students.
- Pell Grant
- Community College Promise Grant (CCPG): Students can complete a separate application for CCPG only. However, If you've completed the FAFSA or CADAA, no additional application is required.
Apply for Extended Opportunity Program & Services (EOPS)
Former Foster Youth who are first-time college students or have very little college experience and are planning to enroll as full-time (limited exception to part-time may be available) are highly encouraged to apply for EOPS services. EOPS provides:
- Individualized Counseling
- Book Vouchers
- Grant Money, when funding is available*
- Tutoring Services
- 4-year college fee waivers
- Dedicated staff committed to student success
- Equipment loans and more...
Applicants must complete the FAFSA/CADAA or CCPG application. Additional application and eligibility requirements will apply.
*Grants are available to students who have unmet financial need after receiving Financial Aid and who meet the EOPS MRC requirements.
Create an Educational Plan: Schedule a Counseling Appointment
Scheduling a General Counseling or an EOPS Counseling* Appointment and creating an Educational Plan is crucial to you attaining academic success efficiently. Whether your academic goals are to graduate, Transfer to a 4-year UC/CSU, Private institution or to receive a certificate working with a counselor will help you stay on track.
*EOPS Counselors are only available to students who are eligible participants in the program. Must apply.
Join the Guardian Scholars Network
By joining the Guardian Scholars Network (GSN), we will know that you are here! You will be connected to a Foster Youth Liaison who will help you to navigate on and off campus support resources available to you. You will be connected to support staff who are dedicated to your success.
Tell Us You're Here!
Please complete the GSN Application Form:
For information and questions regarding the information provided or if you have questions about enrolling at Foothill College, Contact April Henderson, email@example.com.