About the Program
Umoja, a Kiswahili word meaning unity, is a year-long learning community dedicated to enhancing the cultural and educational experiences of African American and other students.
We actively serve and promote student success through a curriculum focused on the legacy of the African and African American diasporas.
- College tours
- Various faculty and peer tutoring options
- Culturally relevant literary field trips
- Student regional and national conferences
- Book vouchers and school supplies
- A dedicated academic counselor
- A faculty or staff mentor
Umoja students benefit from
- A tight-knit campuswide community
- Comprehensive student support programs
- On and off-campus enrichment activities, including university visits and conferences
- A safe place to discuss the real issues that affect students and the broader community