One of the benefits of being part of PRE-STEM is that you join a learning community of peers who are working toward the same goal of an Associate Degree for Transfer in a STEM discipline.
While building a community online proved much more difficult than just making friends on Facebook, it's still a very interesting and valuable experience for me. I was deathly afraid of any people I did not know, and I feel that I'm able to do a little better in groups of random people - a skill I totally lacked before. (TechCore participant)
The cohort meets biweekly, led by the PRE-STEM program staff, to cover topics that will support your academic and professional development:
- study skills in STEM disciplines
- soft skills like communication, collaboration, leadership, and presentation
- careers in tech, engineering, physics, math, and other STEM fields
- finding internships and scholarships
- networking, LinkedIn
- impostor syndrome, being from an underrepresented group in STEM
Use of Canvas
When you join PRE-STEM, you are invited to the PRE-STEM Canvas shell where resources are shared and assignments are given, much like a course.