Program for Readiness and Exploration in STEM
Apply NowAbout PRE-STEM
The Program for Readiness and Exploration in STEM (PRE-STEM) is a learning community at Foothill College focused on increasing the persistence and retention of students, especially from underrepresented groups, in STEM fields. The program goals are for you to
- Explore STEM fields to get a better idea of what you want to major in.
- Explore careers in STEM fields that you might want to pursue.
- Be in a supportive learning environment, taking English and math classes together and participating in regular cohort sessions.
- Understand how STEM disciplines are connected to social issues and social impact.
- Successfully major in a STEM field and transfer to a four-year institution.
PRE-STEM is targeted to new students to Foothill College who do not have any previous degrees and are entering college for the first time. Students from underrepresented groups in STEM (women, students of color, low-income and first generation students) are especially encouraged to apply.
Note: PRE-STEM will be replacing the TechCore program starting in the summer of 2021.
Involvement in PRE-STEM means you will
- Participate in the TechCore Summer Institute (Aug. 9–Sept. 3)—a summer program in math and technology to get you prepared for Foothill entrance in the fall. This is requirement for PRE-STEM students.
- Take English and math classes together with the cohort. In the first year, you will take
- Precalculus – Math 48A, Math 48B, and Math 48C.
- English classes – Engl 1S with 242A, Engl 1T with 242B, and Engl 1B
- Participate in biweekly cohort sessions where you connect with your peers and participate in workshops on professional development, career exploration, study skills, and other relevant topics.
- Be invited to field trips, guest speaker events, and other activities that increase your understanding of and exposure to different STEM disciplines.
- Have priority consideration for SLI STEM Summer Internships connected to your discipline of interest.
- Have access to mentors, counselors, and advisors, both formal and informal.
If you become part of PRE-STEM
- You will become part of a community that will support you during your time at Foothill College. This community consists of your peers, the SLI director, and the faculty that teach the cohort courses.
- You will have a group to hold you accountable to your goals and help you earn your Associate degree in whatever major you decide.
- You will gain a better idea of “what you want to be when you grow up” with career goals and options.
- You will gain insights into how STEM disciplines are connected to addressing social issues.
- You will belong!
Deadline to apply - Monday, July 5, 2021