Summer SLI Internships
SLI provides internship opportunities for Foothill College students during the summer. Stipends are provided through the generous support of SLI donors and allow students to pursue these opportunities, no matter one's financial situation.
Students who participate in the SLI STEM Summer Internship program should be aware of the following guidelines:
- Enrollment in ITRN 50 or 51 (depends on projected number of hours of internship).
- Course tuition will be covered by the Science Learning Institute or your financial aid.
- A program orientation for the summer internship program in late June with the Science Learning Institute. Some placements also require additional meetings, sessions, and professional development.
- Submission of a final report of your internship experience at the end of the summer.
- Part-time weekly commitment for 8 - 12 weeks. Duration and weekly commitment varies for each placement.
- All placements require some kind of minimal coursework depending on the relevant discipline.
- Applicants should be full time Foothill College students majoring in a STEM discipline.
- Priority is given to
- Students with demonstrated financial need, who have not previously had an internship or company experience, and who have the intent to transfer.
- First time degree earners (no prior degree such as a Bachelor’s or Associate)
- Scholarship/ stipend provided through the Science Learning Institute
- Work-based learning and experience to add to your skillset and resume
- Mentoring and support from your placement and from the Science Learning Institute
- Each placement has a different application associated with it - this is to be able to allow students to focus on making their case for each company or institution.
- Some internship placements may require uploading a resume and/or participating in an interview.
- Pay close attention to the application process and fill in all necessary forms.
For Spring and Summer 2021, the following STEM internships will be hosted by the Science Learning Institute.
|Discipline(s)||Partnership||Application Deadline||Duration||More information|
|Physics/ Astronomy/ CS||Foothill Astronomy/ UCSC Science Internship Program||
|spring quarter + 6/7 - 8/13/21||
|7/6 - 8/20/21||
|Engineering||Armada Aeronautics||Rolling, available immediately||NOW for minimum 3 month commitment|
|Computer Science||Dynamic Signal, Esperanto Tech, or Birdeye||
|July + August, exact dates TBD||
|Engineering, physics, chemistry, CS||
Palo Alto Research Center - cloud brightening project
SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory
|NOW CLOSED||July + August, exact dates TBD||
|Psychology||UC Santa Cruz||NOW CLOSED||June 28 - August 20, 2021||
|Chemistry, biochemistry||San Jose State University||NOW CLOSED||June 28 - August 20, 2021|
|Engineering, chemistry, materials science, CS, graphic design||Rosenman Institute Biotech start-up companies (six companies)||NOW CLOSED||Most have start dates of 6/28 for 10 - 12 weeks||
|More to come|
- * If you are a Foothill College STEM student and find an unpaid STEM internship on your own, you may be able to obtain funding from the Science Learning Institute. Please contact the SLI Director for more information.
- How to Apply
- All internships offered by SLI that have a stipend can be found at https://fhda.academicworks.com/ (directly through the link or see the AcademicWorks tile in MyPortal. Search for "SLI."
- Find out more about filling out the application at the Scholarships page.
- Direct any questions about the internship opportunities to email@example.com.
STEM Resources & Opportunities
Sign up to receive emails about internships, scholarships, conferences, and other opportunities for students in STEM.