There are lots of ways SLI is working to elevate STEM at Foothill College. Check out some of the events!
STEM T-Shirt Contest
See our winner for this year's contest!
T-shirts will be available for sale as well as for free at SLI-sponsored events. The first event where t-shirts will be available will be the SLI STEMaTHON on Saturday, May 7th. Join us for a free t-shirt!
Isabel is majoring in bioengineering. In her free time she enjoys art, music, photography, and roller hockey. Congratulations, Isabel!
And we had an honorable mention winner:
Meaghan Pearson and Madison Pearson
Design Guidelines and Specifications
- The design must incorporate the theme and slogan for this year: “See STEM. Do STEM. Be STEM.”
- The slogan may or may not be included on the t-shirt.
- You can interpret the slogan however you think. Review SLI’s mission for ideas.
- Keep in mind that this is about STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math)
- Your design can include up to 3 colors.
- You can choose one of 4 colors for the t-shirt color. Black, White, Navy Blue, Sport Grey.
- Files with example t-shirt designs are provided at this Google Folder link.
- You must incorporate the Foothill College logo on the t-shirt. Must use the Foothill College Style Guide for the logo (do not use a version from an internet search).
- The guide is linked below.
- You can check DiscountMugs.com - this is the company we will use for the t-shirt design.
- The design must be totally original. You cannot use clip art or any other copyrighted materials as part of your design.
- Consider the complexity of your design, the more complex design the more it may not show well on a t-shirt.
Timeline and Process
DEADLINE FOR ENTRY:
EXTENDED: Sunday, April 3, 2022, 11:59 pm
- A judging panel will review all submissions and select up to 5 designs to submit for
a community-wide vote. The judging panel will consist of the SLI director, the STEM
Division Dean, and two to three student participants in SLI programs.
- The Foothill community will be invited to vote (including students, faculty, and staff) starting Monday, April 4, 2022, through Sunday, April 10, 2022. Individuals can only vote once.
- We reserve the right to modify this process based on the number of submissions we receive.
- The judging panel members will not be allowed to submit a design.
- The winner will be announced by week 2 of spring quarter
- The winner will receive a $150 gift card to one of three choices: Target, Amazon, or a Visa gift card. Additionally, the winner will be able to take home up to 5 free t-shirts for personal use and distribution.
- Make sure your design meets all the guidelines and specifications.
- Fill out the entry form completely.
- Upload a PDF of the design of the t-shirt using the t-shirt outline provided
- We do not need raw files at this time. If you win, we will ask for the raw file in 300 dpi in any of the suggested formats: high-resolution JPGs, TIFFs, AI, and EPS files. We can work with you if you don't know how to do this.
- You can submit multiple times, up to 5 entries.
- You can submit as an individual or as a team. See more under “Eligibility”
- You must be 18 or older.
- You must be a Foothill student - enrolled in at least one course at Foothill during Winter '22.
- TEAM ENTRIES:
- Team entries are allowed and may consist of up to five members. If the team wins, the team must split the cash prize amongst themselves. Each winner of the team will receive up to 3 free t-shirts to take home.
- Foothill faculty and staff may participate, but the design team must consist of at least one student.
Other Fine Print
For any questions on submission or for advice on your design email SLI at firstname.lastname@example.org
STEM Division Awards
Friday, June 3, 2022, In-Person
This is an annual event that the STEM Division and SLI collaborate on to honor students in STEM disciplines. Faculty nominate students for these awards and additionally, students who received STEM scholarships through the FHDA Foundation are recognized at this event.
Student awardees receive an invitation and notification in late May and are asked to attend to receive the award.