Work with SLI
Interested in a job with the Science Learning Institute? Want to get more involved behind the scenes to help move the mission of the Science Learning Institute forward? Come join us! The Science Learning Institute has work and service leadership opportunities for current students, alumni, and community members. Read on!
SLI does not currently have any open positions.
SLI STEM Impact Team
The SLI STEM Impact Team is a formation of Foothill College students that advises, supports, and initiates change efforts at Foothill and in the local communities to increase participation, retention, and persistence in STEM disciplines and in the career pipeline of underrepresented groups in STEM, namely Black, Latinx and Pacific Islander individuals and women as well as individuals from low-income backgrounds and who are first generation college goers. This is a paid position.
SLI STEM Impact Fellows are students who have an interest in diversity and equity in STEM, have been involved with SLI programs, and are committed to SLI's mission of diversifying STEM.
Recruitment period for 2023-24 is now over.
Roles and Responsibilities
SLI STEM Impact Team Fellows will
- Act as ambassadors and spokespeople for SLI and the mission of diversifying STEM.
- presenting in classes about SLI resources
- tabling about SLI and our resources on campus
- presenting in front of SLI donors and funders
- presenting workshops for children, youth, and families in local communities
- being an active presence in the SLI Discord server, SLI Instagram, and other social media outlets to promote SLI activities and mission
- Propose and initiate their own projects as well as suggested projects from the SLI director in the name of SLI and see them through from development to implementation to help advance the mission of SLI.
- Provide feedback and input to the SLI director on initiatives being developed, including programs, grant proposals, on and off campus activities and events, and partnerships.
STEM Impact Team Fellows will
- Make a yearlong commitment
- Commit to weekly meetings as a full team to
- Engage in shared learning and professional development on topics related to STEM diversity.
- Develop and check in on workplans.
- Provide feedback and input to matters brought to the table by the SLI Director.
- Commit to serving on and co-leading a subcommittee working on an issue or project with other Fellows and recruited volunteers.
- Make at least two presentations during the year to relevant audiences about SLI’s work on STEM diversity.
- Commit to attending any STEM Impact Team-organized events as well as SLI-organized events.
Overall, the estimated commitment will be about 7 - 8 hours per week. These hours will consist of the following weekly activities:
- Hour and fifteen minute team meetings
- 30-45 minute check in with the SLI director
- 3 - 4 hours of independent work related to outreach and projects
- 1 – 2 hours in subcommittee meetings and working sessions with other Fellows and recruited volunteers
Eligibility and Selection
- You should have an interest in diversity and equity in STEM. We prioritize students who are majoring in STEM because of your understanding of the STEM experience (taking classes, interacting with instructors, and meeting and working with other STEM students.
- You should be able to make the full commitment.
- If you have interest or experience in any of the following, that’s a plus:
- Community engagement and partnership development
- STEM exposure and exploration activities with children and youth
- Presentations for audiences – demonstrations, workshops, didactic lessons
- Social justice education, anti-racism and anti-oppression training
- All are encouraged to apply, especially if you are part of a group that is underrepresented in STEM.
- Preference will be given If you have engaged with any SLI programs, such as PRE-STEM, STEM internships, or attended events.
- All applications will be reviewed, and those meeting the eligibility criteria will be invited for an interview with the selection committee which will consist of the SLI director and outgoing STEM Impact Team Fellows.
Benefits to You
- Development of your leadership skills and experience.
- Experience working on a team committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in STEM.
- Mentorship from the SLI Director and from your peers.
- Expansion of your network through community and partner engagement in SLI’s work.
- Opportunity to be part of positive change efforts at Foothill College.
- You will get paid as a student employee.
The STEM Impact Team of 2021-22 worked on creating a STEMaTHON event in April 2022. Here are a few pieces that came out of that event
- Promotional video about the event
- Workbook that was used for the event
- Projects that were proposed from the project to make STEM more inclusive at Foothill
The STEM Impact Team of 2022-23 created a STEM Student Survey and turned that project into a research project that was presented at the Research and Service Leadership Symposium in May 2023. Here are a few items that came out of that project
Review the Overview of the STEM Impact Team Fellow position.