Steps to Register for Classes
Pass/No Pass Guidelines
The deadlines for requesting Pass/No Pass have been extended, as of January 11, 2022, in consideration of the disruptions caused by the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. This means
- You can request Pass/No Pass for classes taken in the current quarter until the last day of instruction
The deadline to submit a P/NP request for Spring 2022 is Friday, June 24.
This may be helpful if you feel your academic performance has suffered because of disruptions related to COVID-19 and health officials’ orders to stay home. However, there can be drawbacks to choosing Pass/No Pass. Some transfer universities may not accept Pass grades for credit or major requirements, and you will not be allowed to repeat a class at Foothill after receiving a Pass grade.
If you have questions regarding this policy you should consult your Academic Counselor.
How to Request a Pass/No Pass Grade
During registration, you may choose the Pass/No Pass option online inside MyPortal.
- Log in to MyPortal.
- Click Apps from the left menu.
- Select Student Registration (under Students)
- Click on the "Add or Drop Classes" link to get to the class term.
- Find the class in your Current Schedule and select Pass/No Pass under the Grade Mode column.
Note: Once you select and submit the request for Pass/No Pass grading, this action cannot be reversed.
After Classes Begin
- After classes begin, you will need to access, complete and sign the A&R online Pass/No Pass form by the request deadline.
- By signing the online form, it will be automatically emailed to the Admissions and Records office for processing. Note: You must confirm the signature with your email before it will be sent.
- See academic calendar for specific dates for each term.
Rules for Pass/No Pass Grading
Foothill offers Pass/No Pass grading for a number of courses, as authorized by California law (Title V) and the Foothill-De Anza Community College District board of trustees.
- Some courses are designated in the catalog as Pass/No Pass (P/NP) courses. In those courses, a letter grade is not available. Among these classes are those with a “single satisfactory standard of performance for which unit credit is assigned.” (See Section 51302 of Title V.)
- For other courses, you may select the Pass/No Pass option instead of a letter grade.
- Once you select the Pass/No Pass option, the resulting grade is final.
- You may not apply more than 30 units of credit earned with a Pass (P) grade toward an Associate iin Arts degree.
- In most cases, you may not apply a Pass (P) grade toward your major requirements, unless your major division lists a Pass/No Pass (P/NP) course on its curriculum sheets.
- Pass/No Pass grades are not used to calculate grade point averages. However, a grade of No Pass (NP) can be considered in probation and dismissal procedures. You can learn more by reading the Policy on Standards for Probation. (This Policy is currently suspended until December 2022).
Admissions and Records
Student Services Building 8100, Room 8101
Spring 2022 Hours
Monday–Thursday: 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Please contact us by Phone, Email, Chat or Help Form during business hours.
Monday–Thursday: 9 a.m.–5 p.m. & Friday: 9 a.m.-Noon
SUNNYVALE CENTER CLOSED
Please visit or contact the Main Campus for in-person or virtual services.
Academic Dates & Deadlines