Online Degrees & Certificates
AA Transfer Studio Arts
Studio Art is the study of visual art through hands-on studio experience and understanding of the history of art. The Associate in Arts in Studio Arts for Transfer degree is a solid preparation for transfer majors to local California State Universities (CSUs) in various areas in Studio Art. The Associate in Arts in Studio Arts for Transfer degree includes core foundation level drawing, two-dimensional and three-dimensional design and art history. The Associate in Arts in Studio Arts for Transfer degree also offers a wide variety of beginning level studio art electives including painting, figure and head and hand drawing, ceramics and ceramic sculpture, print arts, digital arts and photography.
Students who complete the Associate in Arts in Studio Arts for Transfer degree will be ensured preferential transfer status to local CSUs for Studio Art majors and majors in related disciplines. The Associate in Arts in Studio Arts for Transfer degree requirements will fulfill the lower division major requirements at many local CSUs. Students are advised, however, to meet with a counselor to assess the course requirements for specific local CSUs.
Learn more about the program on the Art website.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Graduates will be equipped with the fundamental formal two- and three-dimensional foundation-level technical skills, materials, concepts, and methods.
- Graduates will gain strong awareness of cultural art traditions through the examination and critical evaluation of culturally significant works of art.
- Graduates will be able to critique and analyze two- and three-dimensional creative projects using the current principles, theories and language of art and design.
Associate Degree Requirements
A minimum of 90 units is required to include:
Completion of one of the following general eduation patterns:
- CSU General Education Breadth Requirements or the *Intersegmental Genearl Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) 49-58 units (full certification is required)
- Core and suppport courses (37.5 units, of which 9 units may satisfy the GE requirement)
- Transferable electives necessary to meet the 90-unit minimum requirement
NOTE: All courses pertaining to the major must be completed with a grade of "C" (or "P") or better. In addition, the student must obtain a minimum GPA of 2.0.
* IMPORTANT NOTE: Although it is possible to fulfill the requirements for the Associate Degree for Transfer by completing the IGETC for UC pattern, admission to CSU requires completion of an Oral Communication course (IGETC Area 1C; CSU GE Area A-1); therefore, students who plan to transfer to CSU should complete this course as part of their GE or elective units.
|ART 2B||History of Western Art from the Middle Ages to the Renaissance||4.5|
|or ART 2BH||Honors History of Western Art from the Middle Ages to the Renaissance||4.5|
|ART 2C||History of Western Art from the Baroque to Contemporary||4.5|
|ART 4A||Fundamentals of Drawing||4|
|ART 5A||2-D Foundations||4|
|ART 5B||3-D Foundations||4|
Select ONE course from the following:
|ART 2A||History of Art: History of Western Art from Prehistory through Early Christianity||4.5|
|or ART 2AH||Honors History of Art: History of Western Art from Prehistory through Early Christianity||4.5|
|ART 2F||Introduction to Asian Art||4.5|
|ART 3||History of Modern Art from Post-Impressionism to the Present||4.5|
And complete 12 units from three areas in List B:
|ART 4B||Intermediate Drawing||4|
|and ART 4C *||Representational Drawing||4|
|ART 4D||Figure Drawing I||4|
|and ART 4E *||Heads & Hands Drawing||4|
|ART 19A||Oil Painting I||4|
|or ART 19B||Acrylic Painting I||4|
|ART 19BC||Oil Painting II||4|
|ART 20A||Color I||4|
|and ART 20B *||Color II||4|
|ART 45A||Beginning Ceramics Handbuilding||4|
|ART 44||Ceramic Sculpture||4|
|Other Studio Arts Area|
|ART 47A||Watercolor I||4|
|ART 47B||Watercolor II||4|
|Digital Art Area|
|GID 41||Digital Art & Graphics||4|
|PHOT 5||Introduction to Photography||4|
* Both courses must be completed to fulfill the requirement.
Note that this is a list of fully online courses that satisfy degree requirements.
For a list of on-campus courses that satisfy degree requirements, please visit Associate Degree for Studio Arts 2021-2022.
Based on the 2021 - 2022 degree program.