subpage flowers image

Student Handbook

Student Grievances

Foothill College has an established procedure for grievances in order to provide a means for resolving alleged unfair or improper action by any member of the academic community. Procedures and forms are available on campus in the Student Affairs & Activities Office, located in Room 2002 in the Campus Center.

Student Grievance Procedures

The Student Grievance Procedures apply to the following types of issues:

  • Arbitrary action or unofficial sanctions without regard to due process,
  • Course grades, bad faith,
  • Violation of state, federal rights, or college-defined student rights,
  • Act or threat of intimidation or general harassment (for example, hazing).

Note: These procedures do not apply to sexual harassment.

A copy of the Student Grievance Procedures is available in the Student Affairs & Activities Office in Room 2002 in the Campus Center or click this link to go directly to Board Policy Administrative Procedures 5530.

Grievance Process

Student Steps in the Informal Process Involving College Employees:

Step 1: The student shall confer with the faculty member, administrator or classified staff person directly involved in the facts giving rise to the grievance.

Step 2: If unresolved after Step 1, the student shall confer with the faculty member’s division dean, or the supervisor of the administrator or classified person.

Step 3: If unresolved after Step 2, the student shall confer with the vice president of that dean’s or supervisor’s division.

Step 4: Within the thirty (30) calendar day time limit as outlined above, if the student does not feel that the matter can be resolved after completing Steps 1 2 and 3, an official Statement of Grievance may be filed with the Grievance Officer. The Grievance Officer will advise the student of his/her rights and assist the student, if necessary, in the final preparation of the Statement of Grievance form. Foothill-De Anza Community College District Administrative Procedures

Step 5: If after ten (10) work days from the first meeting with the Grievance Officer there is no informal resolution, student may request a grievance hearing.

If the complaint involves a grievance against another student, the grievant shall confer directly with the Grievance Officer, who will advise the grievant of his/her rights and assist the grievant in preparing a Statement of Grievance form

Submit a Grievance

Grievance Form Click here

Each student who has a grievance shall make a reasonable effort to resolve the matter on an informal basis prior to requesting a grievance hearing, and shall attempt to solve the problem with the person with whom the student has the grievance, that person's immediate supervisor or division dean, and the vice president over that division.

Who may file a grievance

See Board Policy, Administrative Procedures 5530

Academic in-class issues

If you have complaints about academic issues, you should seek to resolve the problem informally by speaking with these people in this order:

  • Instructor of the class
  • Division Dean (schedule an appointment through the division's administrative assistant)
  • The Vice President who oversees that division

If no resolution is obtained informally, you make seek formal action by calling the Office of the Dean of Student Affairs & Activities at (650) 949-7241.

State Complaint Process

State Complaint Process Notice

Most complaints, grievances or disciplinary matters should be resolved at the campus level. This is the quickest and most successful way of resolving issues involving a California Community College (CCC). You are encouraged to work through the campus complaint process first before escalating issues to any of the following resources. Issues that are not resolved at the campus level may be presented To the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges. Learn more.

Report Academic Dishonesty and/or Disruptive Behavior
Campus Center Upper Level

We're Here to Help!

Catalina Rodriguez, Acting Dean of Students


Campus Center, Building 2000, Room 2002