Committee on Online Learning
The Committee on Online Learning (COOL) is a subcommittee of the Academic Senate focused on online teaching and learning.
To support quality online education for all learners.
The Committee on Online Learning seeks to support the implementation of equity-minded pedagogy and promote quality online education for all.
- Identify and address the specific needs of online faculty and students;
- Ensure quality and equitable online instruction and student services in areas of faculty primacy;
- Provide a faculty voice to college-wide planning and implementation of online learning initiatives;
- Work directly with Online Learning staff in the support of online faculty and students.
COOL is a subcommittee of the Senate with the specific charge of:
- Establishing a dedicated committee to identify and address the specific needs of online faculty and students;
- Continuing the work of DEAC/COOL to ensure quality online instruction and student services in areas of faculty primacy;
- Providing a faculty voice to college-wide planning and implementation of online learning initiatives, including the Distance Education Plan;
- Working directly with Online Learning staff in the support of online faculty and students.
Some of the more significant tasks and accomplishments of DEAC/COOL over the past several years included:
- The College’s Distance Education Plan (and strategic planning related to online learning)
- Adoption of Canvas, Etudes to Canvas Migration, ongoing Canvas feature development
- Online Faculty Handbook
- Equity initiatives in online learning (e.g. Voicethread, OER, etc.)
- Online Course Quality Standards, including peer review processes and Accessibility compliance
- Guidelines for hybrid classes
- Online Teaching Certification Course
- Integration with the Online Education Initiative (OEI)
- Hosting Online Teaching Exchanges and other Professional Development for online faculty
- Online learning community building
- Support of online faculty and students
COOL meets the first & third Friday of each month during the Fall, Winter, and Spring quarters. Meetings are held on Zoom, 1-2pm. Meetings are open to everyone.
All of the meeting information, including meeting agendas, supporting documents, meeting minutes, and meeting recordings can be found on our Canvas COOL page. Feel free to self-enroll today.