First Year Experience (FYE)
About the Program
First Year Experience is a one-year learning community that provides first-year college students the resources and support needed to successfully transition to college — whether you're straight out of high school or returning to school after a break.
FYE connects first-year students to a community of first-year friendly courses and faculty who will serve as partners in helping FYE students build their academic foundation and make a successful transition to Foothill.
Is FYE right for you?
- Are you a first-time college student or a returning student after a long absence?
- Did your Foothill placement tests results place you into ENGL-209 or ENGL-1S?
If yes to these, FYE is for YOU! Check us out!
Check out the Eligibility page.
- Priority registration after completing first term in FYE program
- Registration and financial aid application assistance
- Guaranteed and priority access to FYE counselor
- Guaranteed course registration into English and transferrable GE courses
- FYE courses leading to Foothill degree, certificate, and/or university transfer
- Educational planning to complete academic goals in timely manner
- Academic enrichment, career, and social activities throughout the year
- Service Learning opportunities
- University visits
- Member of Foothill Learning Community amongst first-year college students
- Opportunity to meet new people and form lasting friendships
What Students Are Saying
"I would recommend the program because so far it has helped me develop a better understanding about college and I love how we get to interact with new people and faculty members."
"If you are a freshman and are unsure of what classes you should take to be successful for your first year. FYE is the perfect program as everybody is committed to helping you succeed."