Join the Global Movement to "One day a week, cut out the meat."
Foothill College is joining the ranks of Director James Cameron, EcoActivist Philippe Cousteau, Oprah, Michael Pollan, Sir Paul McCartney, Jessica Simpson,Yoko Ono, Simon Cowell, Iron Chef Mario Batali, The City of San Francisco, U.C. Santa Cruz and more to promote Meatless Mondays on our campus!
This international movement encourages people to reduce their meat consumption by 15% to improve their own health, and the health of our planet!
Watch for our tables at Cesar Chavez Plaza on Mondays where you can get more information, sign the pledge, win prizes and sample great veggie goodies!
Pacific Dining, our cafeteria food service, will join us beginning February 6th with veggie dishes and a Meatless Monday Combo special!
Sign up now for the Meatless Mondays campaign. You will receive news and free meatless recipes every week!
Why go Meatless Monday?
For starters, do it for your health!
- Eating less meat containing saturated fats can reduce your risk of heart disease
- Diets high in fruits and vegetables can reduce cancer risk.
- Plant based diets can also reduce your risk of Type 2 Diabetes
- People on low-meat or vegetarian diets have lower body weights
- Live Longer! Red/processed meat consumption is associated with increases mortality
How about for Our Planet!
- Nearly one-fifth of the man-made greenhouse gas emissions that accelerate climate change come from the Meat Industry (U.N. estimate)
- Save Water! Did you know it takes an estimated 1800-2500 gallons of water for a single pound of beef??
- Reduce Fuel Dependence. About 40 calories of fossil fuel energy go into every calorie of feed lot beef in the U.S. compared to 2.2 calories of fossil fuel for plant-based protein.
Better for your Wallet too!
- Foregoing meat once a week is a great way to cut your rising food budget!
- Curb healthcare spending. 70% of total U.S. healthcare spending comes from the treatment of chronic preventable diseases.
(Source: The Monday Campaigns, Inc.)