What is SOAR
SOAR is a program at Foothill College that helps students complete requirements for priority registration. Students must complete the following steps prior to registration dates for the term that they plan to enroll.
- Apply for Admission
- Complete an Orientation. You will learn about:
- Academic expectations, progress and probation standards
- Maintaining registration priority
- Prerequisite/co-requisite challenge process
- Maintaining fee waiver eligibility
- Services and Programs at Foothill College
- Academic calendar
- Registration and college fees
- Educational planning
- Complete Assessment (in both math and English)
- Create an Educational Plan
- Register for Counseling 5: Introduction to College prior to the term you plan to enroll full time
Getting Started at Foothill
First, apply for admission. You need a student ID for the SOAR workshop. Do this as early as possible, even if you think you may attend another school. Keep all your options open, and keep your priority registration if you choose Foothill. For assistance with the application, please contact the Admissions & Records Office.
Next, register for a SOAR workshop for help completing the other steps toward priority registration.
You should attend SOAR if
You do NOT have to attend SOAR if
- You are a high school senior getting ready to start at Foothill College in Fall 2016
- You have already left high school and ready to start taking classes
at Foothill toward any educational goal (Transfer, Workforce Certificate, AA
Degree, Basic Skills completion, etc.)
- You are in high school and are not graduating in 2015-2016
- You are taking Community Education or lifelong learning classes (for example,
computer skills, PE or Fine Arts activities)
- You have already completed college credits at Foothill or any other college
SOAR Workshop Checklist
Find out about our student support services, academic programs, transfer opportunities
and career options, as well as how to apply for financial aid and register for classes.
Take math and English placement tests to determine your skill and knowledge levels
for accurate placement in courses. Please note:
There are no time limits on the tests.
- If you have already taken Foothill's placement tests
at your high school, you will not need to take the tests again.
- If you are a student with
a disability and need accommodations for placements tests, please email Anthony Cervantes at email@example.com so that we may make arrangements for you.
- If you have other questions about Assessement, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
When you are done with your placement testing, college staff will help you register for
CNSL 5: Introduction to College. You will also make a counseling appointment to
discuss your individual academic goals and begin creating your Educational Plan.
> The Educational Plan
The Educational Plan (Ed Plan) sets up the courses you need to take to complete your
educational goal - an Associate Degree or Workforce Certificate or transfer to
a 4-year university.
Steps to Prepare for your SOAR Workshop
- Apply to Foothill College: When you complete your online application, you will receive a welcome letter sent
to your email, usually within 24 hours, that includes your Foothill College Student
ID number, also known as your CWID. This will be your personal identifier and will
be used for your placement tests, counseling appointments and registration. If for
any reason you do not receive an email with your CWID, please contact Admissions &
Records at (650) 949-7325.
- Prepare for your Assessment Tests. We highly recommend that you take a practice placement tests and review English resources to be better prepared. EdReady is a prep tool that Foothill College offers, which will create a specific and individualized study plan for you based on your math abilities to best prepare you for the math placement test.
- Bring your ID. Please bring a photo ID and your new Student CWID number to your SOAR Workshop.
You will need both for testing at the Assessment Center.
Register for the Workshop
These are the SOAR dates planned for the coming year. Register for and attend only workshop listed below.
Note: If you are attending Foothill College as an international student, please see the International Student orientation information.
2015-2016 SOAR Workshops Dates
|Spring 2016 All Day (To get priority registration for Fall 2016)
|Saturday, June 4
||8 a.m - 4 p.m.
|Last Chance SOAR: (To get priority registration for Fall 2016)
|Monday, July 11
||3 - 7 p.m.
|Tuesday, August 30
||3 - 7 p.m.
After you complete the online registration form for your SOAR Workshop, you will
receive an email confirmation detailing where to park on campus, a schedule for
the SOAR, the room number for orientation, and a campus map.
For additional information or assistance, please contact the Foothill College Outreach
team at email@example.com.