What is SOAR
SOAR is a program at Foothill College that will give early registration to incoming freshman students who follow these steps prior to Fall 2015.
- Apply for Admission.
- Complete an orientation. You'll learn about educational plans, financial
aid, and more.
- Take an assessment test (in both math and English).
- Schedule an appointment with a counselor to create an Educational Plan.
- Register for Counseling 5: Introduction to College prior to Fall 2015.
Getting Started at Foothill
First, apply for admission. You need a student ID for the SOAR workshop. Do this as early as possible, even if you think you may attend another school. Keep all your options open, and keep your priority registration if you choose Foothill.
Next, register for a SOAR workshop for help completing the other steps toward priority registration.
You should attend SOAR if
You do NOT have to attend SOAR if
- You are a high school senior getting ready to start at Foothill College in the Summer or Fall of 2015.
- You have already left high school and ready to start taking classes
at Foothill toward any educational goal (Transfer, Workforce Certificate, AA
Degree, Basic Skills completion, etc.)
- You are in high school and are not graduating in 2015
- You are taking Community Education or lifelong learning classes (for example,
computer skills, PE or Fine Arts activities)
- You have already completed college credits at Foothill or any other college
Find out about our student support services, academic programs, transfer opportunities
and career options, as well as how to apply for financial aid and register for classes.
Take math and English placement tests to determine your skill and knowledge levels
for accurate placement in courses. If you have already taken Foothill's placement tests
at your high school you will not need to take the tests again.
There are no time limits on the tests. If you are a student with
a disability and need accommodations for placements tests, please email Julie Brown
prior to April 15
so that we may make arrangements for you.
When you are done with your placement testing, college staff will help you register for
CNSL 5: Introduction to College. You will also make a counseling appointment to
discuss your individual academic goals and begin creating your Educational Plan.
The Educational Plan
The Educational Plan (Ed Plan) sets up the courses you need to take to complete your
educational goal - an Associate Degree or Workforce Certificate or transfer to
a 4-year university.
Steps to Prepare for your SOAR Workshop
- Apply to Foothill College: When you complete your online application, you will receive a welcome letter sent
to your email, usually within 24 hours, that includes your Foothill College Student
ID number, also known as your CWID. This will be your personal identifier and will
be used for your placement tests, counseling appointments and registration. If for
any reason you do not receive an email with your CWID, please contact Admissions &
Records at (650) 949-7325.
- Get ready for your Assessment Tests. We highly recommend that you
take a practice placement tests
and review English resources to be better prepared.
- Bring your ID. Please bring a photo ID and your new Student CWID number to your SOAR Workshop.
You will need both for testing at the Assessment Center.
- See more information about Summer SOAR Workshops (PDF, 37KB)
Register for the Workshop
Please check back for SOAR dates offered starting in Fall 2015.
For additional information or assistance please contact the Foothill College Outreach
team at email@example.com