|1. Description - |
|Competitive intercollegiate volleyball emphasizing athletic skill and strategy development and performance through conference and post-conference competition. This course is intended for participants on the women's volleyball team.|
|2. Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- perform volleyball skills related to each athlete's specialization and team objectives.
- prepare to compete in a highly organized team sport at a maximum level of competition.
- apply and practice skills learned and show improvement.
- analyze effectively the opposing team's play and strategies.
- demonstrate through performance the development of physical fitness levels in strength, endurance, and health.
- identify the official rules and their interpretations to enhance performance.
- display proper sportsmanship both on and off the court.
- explain the elements and actions involved in an athletic philosophy.
|3. Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|Gymnasium and volleyball shoes. |
|4. Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Advanced development of volleyball performance skills
- offensive skills
- serve receive - forearm pass
- overhead pass
- off speed shots; dink
- defensive skills
- single block
- double block
- court positioning
- base defense positions
- team and individual blocking
- court coverage responsibility
- 'free ball' situation
- Physical fitness
- muscle strength
- muscle endurance
- body composition
- Rules and regulations
- net play
- Sportsmanship and etiquette
- mutual respect
- distracting an opponent
- joy of competition
- zeal of excellence
- rivalry and camaraderie
- Individual and team philosophy
|5. Repeatability - Moved to header area.|
|6. Methods of Evaluation - |
- Subjective assessment of physical skills and performance by direct coach's observation
- individual and team verbal critiques
- video analysis
- student-athlete counseling: academic involvement, athletic department, eligibility
- individual improvement, performance, and contribution to the total team effort
- Objective assessment of performance
- participation in athletic competitions and practices
- final evaluations
|7. Representative Text(s) - |
|Current NCAA Rulebook |
|8. Disciplines - |
|Coaching or Physical Education |
|9. Method of Instruction - |
|The students will be practicing tactics and technical skills related to the sport of volleyball. The students will be developing and strengthening their fundamental skills through practice, video analysis of game and practice film, classroom meetings, and visualization. |
|10. Lab Content - |
- Drills and skill building
|11. Honors Description - No longer used. Integrated into main description section.|
|12. Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
|Optional writing exercises related to the sport and based on recommended reading. |
|13. Need/Justification - |
|This course is a restricted support course for the Certificate of Achievement in Transfer Studies and it also satisfies one of the two course requirements (minimum 4 units) for the Foothill GE Requirement for Area VII, Lifelong Learning. |