|Student Learning Outcomes -|
- Perform with an increasing degree of the proficiency with both offensive and defensive skills of swimmingr.
- Describe the technical and tactical skills of swimming.
|Description - |
|Competitive intercollegiate swimming working toward personal and physical development, athletic scholarship, transfer, and career opportunities. Intended for participants of the men's/women's swimming team.|
|Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- Demonstrate individual fundamental skills pertaining to swimming and/or diving.
- Demonstrate and apply practical and general knowledge of the sport of swimming and/or diving and its rules.
- Identify and analyze concepts, strategies, and personnel of opponents through film analysis and simulated competition situations.
- Demonstrate the ability to work with a team unit and develop team concepts.
|Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|Access to the swimming pool, training equipment (fins, bouts, kick boards) |
|Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Individual fundamental skills and conditioning
- Muscular strength
- Muscle and cardiovascular endurance
- Practical and general knowledge of swimming and/or diving and its rules
- Practice drills
- Competition situations
- Concepts and race/performance strategies
- Swimming events
- Diving events
- Team personnel
- Team development and goals
|Methods of Evaluation - |
- Subjective assessment of physical skills and performance by direct coach's observation
- individual and team verbal critiques
- video analysis
- student-athlete counseling: academic involvement, athletic department, eligibility
- individual improvement, performance, and contribution to the total team effort
- Objective assessment of performance
- individual statistical record
- final evaluations
|Representative Text(s) - |
|Current NCAA rulebook for swimming. |
|Disciplines - |
|Physical Education or Coaching |
|Method of Instruction - |
|Lecture, Discussion, Cooperative learning exercises, Laboratory, Demonstration. |
|Lab Content - |
- Swimming--various styles
- Breathing techniques
|Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
|Optional reading and writing assignments as recommended by instructor. |