|Student Learning Outcomes -|
- Perform with an increasing degree of proficiency the offensive and defensive skills of soccer.
- Describe the technical and tactical skills of soccer.
|Description - |
|Competitive intercollegiate soccer working toward personal and physical development, athletic scholarship, transfer, and career opportunities. Intended for participants of the men's soccer team.|
|Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- perform soccer skills of kicking, shooting, passing, and heading related to each athlete's specialization and team objectives.
- prepare to compete in a highly organized team sport at a maximum level of competition.
- apply and practice skills learned and demonstrate marked improvement.
- identify the official rules and their interpretations.
- analyze effectively the opposing player's/team's offensive and defensive strategies and tactics.
- demonstrate through performance the development of physical fitness levels in strength, endurance, and health.
- identify the official rules and their interpretations to enhance performance and negate actions that would be detrimental to competitive objectives.
- explain the elements and actions of an athletic philosophy.
|Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|Soccer field and soccer shoes |
|Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Kicking and passing techniques
- Inside of the foot pass/push/pass
- Outside of the foot pass/kick
- Instep passing/kicking
- Heading techniques to include:
- Heading for passing
- Heading for goal
- Heading to penetrate defense
- Ball collection and preparation to include all parts of the body:
- Physical fitness development
- Muscle strength
- Muscle endurance
- Body composition
- Offensive formations and strategies
- Creating space
- Passing and support
- flank and diagonal crosses
- central positioning
- Defensive formations and strategies
- Defending space
- Man to man
- Rules and regulations
- Dimensions of play area
- Playing positions
- Ball in and out of play
- Violations and misconduct
- Throw in
- Individual and team philosophy
|Methods of Evaluation - |
- Subjective assessment of physical skills and performance by direct coach's observation.
- Individual and team verbal critiques
- Video analysis
- Individual mental and physical capacity under competitive situations
- Objective assessment of performance standings
- Participation in athletic competitions
- Final evaluation
|Representative Text(s) - |
|Current NCAA Rulebook |
|Disciplines - |
|Physical Education or Coaching |
|Method of Instruction - |
|Lecture, Discussion, Cooperative learning exercises, Laboratory, Demonstration, |
|Lab Content - |
|Activities and drills that promote the student's development in the sport of soccer such as running, passing, defending, shooting. |
|Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
|Optional reading and writing assignments as recommended by instructor. |