|1. Description - |
|This course teaches and provides practice specific techniques and conditioning for the sport of basketball. This includes drills, weight and flexibility training, and cardio-respiratory development.|
|2. Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- Assess and improve muscle strength and muscle endurance used for the sport of basketball.
- Design and practice a program of effective muscle-training exercises.
- Define and assess flexibility and describe the benefits of increased flexibility for the sport of basketball.
- Demonstrate basketball specific strength exercises and routines
- Practice specific aerobic and anaerobic training
- Demonstrate and assess sport techniques for basketball
|3. Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|Basketball specific equipment |
|4. Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Assess and improve muscle strength and endurance
- Practice a program of progressive overloading with an understanding of repetitions and sets.
- Physical testing to determine the measure for repetition maximums.
- Demonstrate the ability to select the weight and exercise for targeting each major muscle group.
- Perform and understand the importance of multiple joint exercise.
- Design a program of effect muscle training exercise for the sport of basketball.
- Design a program for circuit training exercises that are sport specific.
- Perform proper free weight lifting techniques
- Explain the advantages and disadvantages of free weights vs. weight machines.
- Define and assess flexibility and describe the benefits of increased flexibility for basketball specific training.
- Explain the following factors and their influence on flexibility: muscle temperature, physical activity, age and disease.
- Assess flexibility at four joint sites.
- Demonstrate basketball specific flexibility exercises and routines.
- Practice basketball specific stretching routines.
- Demonstrate PNF stretching exercises.
- Practice basketball specific aerobic and anaerobic training.
- Measure and assess individual cardiorespiratory endurance.
- Practice proper warm-up for aerobic and anaerobic exercise.
- Demonstrate and assess sport technique for competitive basketball training.
- Analyze basketball tapes for successful techniques.
- Practice sport techniques that develop skills for competitive basketball.
|5. Repeatability - Moved to header area.|
|6. Methods of Evaluation - |
|Basketball specific pre and post test for individual strength, flexibility, and endurance. |
|7. Representative Text(s) - |
|None required |
|8. Disciplines - |
|Physical Education or Coaching |
|9. Method of Instruction - |
|Discussion, Cooperative learning exercises, demonstrations. |
|10. Lab Content - |
|Practicing strength and flexibility programs for the sport of basketball that improves performance through running, shooting, defending. |
|11. Honors Description - No longer used. Integrated into main description section.|
|12. Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
|Optional reading and writing assignments as recommended by instructor. |
|13. Need/Justification - |
|This course meets the Foothill GE Requirements for Area VII, Lifelong Learning. |