|Student Learning Outcomes -|
- Upon completion students shouuld be able to utilize a variety of exercise modes and techniques to improve muscular strength, endurance, flexibility, and cardio-respiratory endurance.
- Upon completion students should be able to identify weight management principles, basic physiology of exercise, and benefits of regular exercise.
|Description - |
|This course teaches and provides practice specific techniques and conditioning for the sport of softball. This includes drills, weight and flexibility training, and cardio-respiratory development.|
|Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- Assess and improve muscle strength and muscle endurance used for the sport of softball.
- Design and practice a program of effective muscle-training exercises.
- Define and assess flexibility and describe the benefits of increased flexibility for the sport of softball.
- Demonstrate softball specific strength exercises and routines
- Practice specific aerobic and anaerobic training
- Demonstrate and assess sport techniques for softball
|Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|softball specific equipment |
|Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Assess and improve muscle strength and endurance
- Practice a program of progressive overloading with an understanding of repetitions and sets.
- Physical testing to determine the measure for repetition maximums.
- Demonstrate the ability to select the weight and exercise for targeting each major muscle group.
- Perform and understand the importance of multiple joint exercise.
- Design a program of effect muscle training exercise for the sport of softball.
- Design a program for circuit training exercises that are sport specific.
- Perform proper free weight lifting techniques
- Explain the advantages and disadvantages of free weights vs. weight machines.
- Define and assess flexibility and describe the benefits of increased flexibility for softball specific training.
- Explain the following factors and their influence on flexibility: muscle temperature, physical activity, age and disease.
- Assess flexibility at four joint sites.
- Demonstrate softball specific flexibility exercises and routines.
- Practice softball specific stretching routines.
- Demonstrate PNF stretching exercises.
- Practice softball specific aerobic and anaerobic training.
- Measure and assess individual cardiorespiratory endurance.
- Practice proper warm-up for aerobic and anaerobic exercise.
- Demonstrate and assess sport technique for competitive softball training.
- Analyze softball tapes for successful techniques.
- Practice sport techniques that develop skills for competitive softball.
|Methods of Evaluation - |
|Softball specific pre and post test for individual strength, flexibility, and endurance. |
|Representative Text(s) - |
|None required |
|Disciplines - |
|Physical Education or Coaching |
|Method of Instruction - |
|Discussion, Cooperative learning exercises, demonstrations. |
|Lab Content - |
|Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
|Optional reading and writing assignments as recommended by instructor. |