|Student Learning Outcomes -|
- Understand the theory and application of sport technique as a means of conditioning. (rubic - cognitive)
- Demonstrate the use of sport techniques as a method of conditioning
|Description - |
|This course teaches and provides practice specific techniques and conditioning for the sport of tennis. This includes drills, weight and flexibility training, and cardio-respiratory development.|
|Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- Assess and improve muscle strength and muscle endurance used for the sport of tennis.
- Design and practice a program of effective muscle-training exercises.
- Define and assess flexibility and describe the benefits of increased flexibility for the sport of tennis.
- Demonstrate tennis specific strength exercises and routines
- Practice specific aerobic and anaerobic training
- Demonstrate and assess sport techniques for tennis
|Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|Tennis specific equipment |
|Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Assess and improve muscle strength and endurance
- Practice a program of progressive overloading with an understanding of repetitions and sets.
- Physical testing to determine the measure for repetition maximums.
- Demonstrate the ability to select the weight and exercise for targeting each major muscle group.
- Perform and understand the importance of multiple joint exercise.
- Design a program of effect muscle training exercise for the sport of tennis.
- Design a program for circuit training exercises that are sport specific.
- Perform proper free weight lifting techniques
- Explain the advantages and disadvantages of free weights vs. weight machines.
- Define and assess flexibility and describe the benefits of increased flexibility for tennis specific training.
- Explain the following factors and their influence on flexibility: muscle temperature, physical activity, age and disease.
- Assess flexibility at four joint sites.
- Demonstrate tennis specific flexibility exercises and routines.
- Practice tennis specific stretching routines.
- Demonstrate PNF stretching exercises.
- Practice tennis specific aerobic and anaerobic training.
- Measure and assess individual cardiorespiratory endurance.
- Practice proper warm-up for aerobic and anaerobic exercise.
- Demonstrate and assess sport technique for competitive tennis training.
- Analyze tennis tapes for successful techniques.
- Practice sport techniques that develop skills for competitive tennis.
|Methods of Evaluation - |
|Tennis specific pre and post test for individual strength, flexibility, and endurance. |
|Representative Text(s) - |
|None required |
|Disciplines - |
|Physical Education or Coaching |
|Method of Instruction - |
|Discussion, Cooperative learning exercises, demonstrations. |
|Lab Content - |
|Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
|Optional reading and writing assignments as recommended by instructor. |