|Student Learning Outcomes -|
- Perform with an increasing degree of proficiency the offensive and defensive skills of intercollegiate tennis.
- Understand and implement the technical/tactical skills of intercollegiate tennis.
|Description - |
|Competitive intercollegiate tennis emphasizing early season conditioning, development of skills and strategy, and team building through pre-conference and conference competition. Intended for participants on the women's tennis team.|
|Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- perform tennis skills related to each athlete's specialization and team objectives.
- prepare to compete in a highly organized team sport at a maximum level of competition.
- apply and practice skills learned and show improvement.
- analyze effectively the opposing team's play and strategies.
- demonstrate through performance the development of physical fitness levels in strength, endurance, and health.
- identify the official rules and their interpretations to enhance performance.
- display proper sportsmanship both on and off the court.
- explain the elements and actions involved in an athletic philosophy.
|Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|Collegiate tennis courts and tennis racquets. |
|Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Advanced development of fundamental skills of tennis
- court position
- net play
- court position
- net play
- Physical fitness development
- muscle strength
- muscle endurance
- aerobics and anaerobic conditioning
- Rules and regulations
- court and net
- change of ends
- service court errors
- Sportsmanship and etiquette
- mutual respect
- distracting an opponent
- joy of competition
- zeal of excellence
- rivalry and camaraderie
- Individual and team philosophy
|Methods of Evaluation - |
- Subjective assessment of physical skills and performance by direct coach's observation
- individual and team verbal critiques
- video analysis
- student-athlete counseling: academic involvement, athletic department, eligibility
- individual improvement, performance, and contribution to the total team effort
- Objective assessment of performance
- participation in athletic competitions
- final evaluations
|Representative Text(s) - |
|Current NCAA Rulebook |
|Disciplines - |
|Physical Education or Coaching |
|Method of Instruction - |
|Lecture, Discussion, Cooperative learning exercises, Laboratory, Demonstration. |
|Lab Content - |
|Groundstrokes, Serves, Returns, Drills, Footwork, Conditioning, Match play. |
|Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
|Optional reading and writing assignments as recommended by instructor. |