|1. Description - |
|Competitive intercollegiate volleyball emphasizing early season conditioning, development of skills and strategy, and team building through pre-conference and conference competition. This course is intended for participants on the women's volleyball team.|
|2. Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- perform volleyball skills related to each athlete's specialization and team objectives.
- prepare to compete in a highly organized team sport at a maximum level of competition.
- apply and practice skills learned and show improvement.
- analyze effectively the opposing team's play and strategies.
- demonstrate through performance the development of physical fitness levels in strength, endurance, and health.
- identify the official rules and their interpretations to enhance performance.
- display proper sportsmanship both on and off the court.
- explain the elements and actions involved in an athletic philosophy.
|3. Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|Gymnasium and volleyball shoes. |
|4. Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Advanced development of volleyball performance skills
- offensive skills
- serve receive - forearm pass
- overhead pass
- off speed shots; dink
- defensive skills
- single block
- double block
- court positioning
- base defense positions
- team and individual blocking
- court coverage responsibility
- 'free ball' situation
- Physical fitness
- muscle strength
- muscle endurance
- body composition
- Rules and regulations
- net play
- Sportsmanship and etiquette
- mutual respect
- distracting an opponent
- joy of competition
- zeal of excellence
- rivalry and camaraderie
- Individual and team philosophy
|5. Repeatability - Moved to header area.|
|6. Methods of Evaluation - |
- Subjective assessment of physical skills and performance by direct coach's observation
- individual and team verbal critiques
- video analysis
- student-athlete counseling: academic involvement, athletic department, eligibility
- individual improvement, performance, and contribution to the total team effort
- Objective assessment of performance
- participation in athletic competitions and practices
- final evaluations
|7. Representative Text(s) - |
|Current NCAA Rulebook |
|8. Disciplines - |
|Coaching or Physical Education |
|9. Method of Instruction - |
|Demonstration, drills and corrective feedback. Video analysis of practice film, classroom meetings, and visualization. |
|10. Lab Content - |
- Drills for skill building
|11. Honors Description - No longer used. Integrated into main description section.|
|12. Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
|Optional writing exercises related to the sport and based on recommended reading. |
|13. Need/Justification - |
|This course is a restricted support course for the Certificate of Achievement in Transfer Studies and also satisfies one of the two course requirements (minimum 4 units) for the Foothill GE Requirement for Area VII, Lifelong Learning. |