|Student Learning Outcomes -|
- Upon completion students should be able to understand and apply to rules and etiquette of the sport of soccer.
- Upon completion students should be able to show increased muscular endurance and/or technical proficiency in passing, trapping, shooting, crossing, defending, and goalkeeping.
|Description - |
|The development of athletic skills and mental conditioning which is required to be successful in the intercollegiate sport of soccer.|
|Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- Demonstrate the skills necessary to compete on an intercollegiate soccer team at a maximum level of performance.
- Explain the value of sport in developing commitment, self-discipline, self-respect and teamwork and adhere to an athletic code of excellence through exemplary deportment both on and off the field of competition.
- Discuss and demonstrate effective strategies required by the sport of soccer.
- Demonstrate increased strength, endurance, stamina, flexibility, and knowledge of a healthy diet.
|Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|Equipment required for the sport of soccer. |
|Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Advanced development of fundamental skills applicable to the sport of soccer.
- Individual physical skills relative to soccer
- Team skill/plays/strategies relative to soccer
- Physical fitness development
- Muscular development
- Muscular endurance
- Cardiovascular fitness
- Nutritional knowledge
- Stress and pressure/mental game
- Choking and safeguards against pressure
- When to take chances and when to play it safe
- Concentration and "the zone"
- Video on the rules of soccer
- How to use the rulebook for soccer
- Appropriate behavior during competition
- Practice sessions
- Individual skills/techniques
- Team drills/strategies
- Sportsmanship and etiquette
- Mutual respect
- Rivalry and camradrie
- Zeal for excellence
- Individual and team philosophy
|Methods of Evaluation - |
- Physical skills and techniques will be assessed by direct instructor observation
- Individual and team verbal critiques
- Video analysis
- Individual improvement, performance, and contribution to team effot
|Representative Text(s) - |
|None required. |
|Disciplines - |
|Physical Education or Coaching |
|Method of Instruction - |
- Lecture presentations and team discussion
- Facilitation of drills and activities that promote learning objectives.
|Lab Content - |
|Activities and drills that promote the student's development in the sport of soccer such as running, dribbling, shooting, defending. |
|Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
|Optional reading and writing assignments as recommended by instructor. |