|1. Description - |
|Focus on the strategies of singles and doubles play. Includes serving long and short, forehand smashes, drop shots, angle play and doubles formations.|
|Prerequisite: PHED 37.|
|Advisory: This course is included in the Individual Sports family of activity courses.|
|2. Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- identify the equipment, rules, and etiquette of badminton.
- practice intermediate fundamental skills.
- recognize offensive and defensive strategy.
- utilize proper footwork and racquet grips.
- demonstrate intermediate overhead and underhand strokes.
- increase levels of fitness and hand-eye coordination.
- identify modified court positions
- analyze court awareness with shot selection and placement
|3. Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|Badminton racquet and shuttlecocks. |
|4. Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Terminology, equipment, and rules of badminton
- Racquets and types of shuttlecocks
- Dimensions - type of play
- Etiquette and general play
- Intermediate skills
- Grips - forehand and backhand
- Arm and wrist positioning
- Underhand and overhead strokes
|5. Repeatability - Moved to header area.|
|6. Methods of Evaluation - |
- Individual and team participation
- Critical thinking in competitive game play
- Demonstration of rules and etiquette of badminton
- Participation and demonstration game fundamentals
- Video analysis
|7. Representative Text(s) - |
|Current NCAA Badminton Rulebook |
|8. Disciplines - |
|Physical Education |
|9. Method of Instruction - |
|10. Lab Content - |
- Serving long and short
- Overhead smashes
- Drop shots
- Doubles rotation
- Angle play
|11. Honors Description - No longer used. Integrated into main description section.|
|12. Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
|optional writing and exercises based on recommended reading |
|13. Need/Justification - |
|This course meets the Foothill GE Requirements for Area VII, Lifelong Learning. |