|Student Learning Outcomes -|
- Perform with increased proficiency the skill sets and techniques of of beginning doubles tennis
- Demonstrate and explain the basic strategies and rules of doubles tennis
|Description - |
|Introduction to doubles tennis play. Includes basic court position, skill drills, and offensive and defensive strategies.|
|Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- identify the rules and etiquette for doubles tennis play.
- demonstrate increased knowledge in the tennis forehand, backhand, and serving skills.
- practice basic court positions.
- analyze different strategies for offensive and defensive play.
- demonstrate techniques for conditioning.
- recognize modified games for class and group play.
- value doubles tennis as a lifelong learning activity for physical fitness
|Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|Tennis racquet, tennis balls, and tennis court. |
|Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
|Instructor lecture and demonstration will teach: |
- Doubles tennis rules
- court and net
- change of ends
- service rotation
- service court errors
- Doubles tennis skills
- Court positioning for doubles
- back court
- fore court
- Doubles strategy
- hit it front of your partner
- net man protects their alley
- close the opening
- serve and go up
- move toward the ball
- Conditioning drlls
- agility and coordination
- speed and endurance
|Methods of Evaluation - |
- Physical skills and techniques will be assessed by direct instructor observation.
- Evaluation of critical thinking in offensive and defensive play situations.
- Written final exam
|Representative Text(s) - |
|Cayer, Louis. Doubles Tennis Tactics. Champaign IL: Human Kinetics, 2004. |
|Disciplines - |
|Physical Education |
|Method of Instruction - |
|Lab Content - |
|Lab Content includes demonstrations of the following: |
|Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
- Optional writing exercises based on recommended reading.