|Description - |
|Students will gain practical experience in the application of theatre management responsibilities in any of the following: stage management, house management, production management, or technical department management. Students in this class will be expected to assume responsibility for assembling and organizing the work of several groups or departments in the successful creation of a large theatrical production.|
|Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- Demonstrate mastery of the terminology and processes necessary to run a technical department or supervise a cast and crew during the production of a play or musical
- Organize and schedule several technical departments and crews for the production of a play or musical
- Demonstrate the ability to work cooperatively and effectively with designers, directors, technicians and cast in the production of play or musical
|Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|Rehearsal space with an unobstructed, flat floor, approximately 30' x 40' for rehearsal. Fully-equipped theatre for performance; make-up studio and dressing room facilities.. Fully equipped scenic shop. |
|Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
D.Theatre management terminology.(Lab)
- Assignment to production and performance responsibilities (L-L)
- Preparation for production including processes and forms required.(Lab)
- Psychology of group dynamics including Maslow's hierarchy of needs (L-L)
Recognize and demonstrate collaborative responsibilities and leadership skills with the director, designers, and crew supervisors.(Lab)Demonstrate and apply basic skills in running a production or theatre. (Lab)Organize and schedule the design, creation and implementation of production elements with the assistance of an assigned crew. (Lab)
|Methods of Evaluation - |
|A.Evaluation of individual projects in technical theatre production. |
Faculty observation and performance reviewSkill demonstrationsFinal evaluation of performance responsibilities and outcomes
|Representative Text(s) - |
|Production scripts and instructor handouts |
|Disciplines - |
|Theatre Technology |
|Method of Instruction - |
|Lecture, Discussion, Cooperative learning exercises, Oral presentations, Laboratory, Demonstration |
|Lab Content - |
C.Design, create or facilitate production elements for the stage as required by the produciton
- Participation and observation of rehearsal process for scheduled production.
- Perform various productions support functions dependant on the demands of costumes, set construction, properties, lighting, etc.
|Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
- Read scripts for production preparation.
- Read and assess background materials for production preparation and relevance.
- Research materials and methods of implementing required production elements