|Student Learning Outcomes -|
- Students will have practical experience in the production aspects of dance.
- Perform the continuing dance techniques and skills necessary for public performance.
|Description - |
|Continuation into the intermediate level concepts of dance performance. Includes intermediate experience with the rehearsal process, learning dance works and preparation for a performance. Students will be given the opportunity to perform for a live audience and to collaborate with and perform for area colleges and universities, civic, local, or charity organizations.|
|Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- examine the nature of dance as a performing art
- perform at various colleges and universities classic repertory choreography
- increase body awareness and confidence
- apply the concepts of proper alignment and placement in all activities
- recognize dance as both a physical discipline and an artistic expression
- appreciate music as integral to the performance of dance
- analyze dance through historical perspective and context
|Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|Dance Studio, Rehearsal space, or Theatre. |
Audio Set up
Appropriate shoes and clothing or costume for the specific dance technique.
|Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Intermediate dance fundamentals
- Floor barre
- Center work
- Intermediate across the floor
- Intermediate technique and choreography in one or more of the following
- Musical Theatre
- Hip Hop
- Dancers' instrument:
- Injury prevention
- Conditioning for the Dancer
- Body alignment and Center
- Intermediate choreography
- Choreography integrating double pirouettes
- Choreography integrating intermediate jete combinations
- Choreography integrating intermediate staging and rhythmic complexity
- Dance as collegiate sport and/or artistic collaboration with other College Dance Programs
- Touring ensemble
- Dance in the community
- Civic Organization
- Career overview in dance
- Professional dancers on broadway, television, film
- Dance teacher
- Artistic References
- Reference to contemporary dance companies and performances
- Sources and styles of musical accompaniment for production performance
|Methods of Evaluation - |
- Evaluation of performance skills through the intermediate level
- Objective exams
- Cooperative learning assignments
- Term Paper
|Representative Text(s) - |
|Ryan, Walter J. Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet. 2011. |
Tharp, Twyla. The Collaborative Habit: Life Lessons for Working Together. New York, NY: Simon and Schuster, 2009.
|Disciplines - |
|Method of Instruction - |
- Lecture and Discussion.
- Cooperative learning exercises.
- Laboratory and Demonstration.
- Quiz and Examination review.
|Lab Content - |
- Demonstration and practice of proper alignment and body awareness in all activities and performance.
- Demonstration and continued practice of procedures of dance production.
- Demonstration and performance of a choreographer's work at the intermediate technique level.
|Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
- Written critique of a live dance performance
- Optional writing exercises based on recommended reading