|Student Learning Outcomes -|
- Demonstrate an understanding of approriate applications of rapid website development technologies and their implementations for website development.
- Create a website that effectively demonstrates proficiency with Drupal and WordPress for class critique and portfolio presentation.
|Description - |
|Introduction to Drupal and WordPress for rapid website development. Prepares students and working professionals to use rapid development tools to create and customize websites for small and large applications, from blogs to commercial development. Emphasis on authoring, modules and architecture, CMS (Content Management System), and administrative tools.|
|Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- demonstrate an understanding of rapid website development using blogging and content management applications, e.g., WordPress and Drupal, and when to deploy these technologies versus traditional websites.
- create a functional website using WordPress, including editable pages, and integration of content and RSS, and current Web blogging technology.
- create a website that effectively demonstrates proficiency with Drupal utilizing content management and customizable modules.
- Compare and contrast WordPress and Drupal options for a potential client.
|Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
- A lecture room equipped with instructional computer, high resolution color monitor, software; projection system, and lighting suitable for displaying projected media. An integrated or separate facility with student workstation configurations to include hard drives, color monitors, mice, keyboards, and software.
- When taught via Foothill Global Access: on-going access to computer with java-script enabled Internet browsing software, media plug-ins, and relevant computer applications.
|Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Rapid website development overview
- Conceptual thinking about content deployment and management, usability, and user interaction
- Theory and application of rapid Web deployment technologies, from customizable templates to modules
- Web technology for use by individuals and teams
- Web 2.0 applications and user interaction / requirements
- Create a website using WordPress
- Install and configure WordPress on the host server manually (FTP) or using hosted modules
- WordPress architecture
- Themes and widgets
- WordPress Plug-ins
- Customization using HTML/CSS
- Produce a working multi-page WordPress website
- Create a functional website using Drupal
- Install and configure Drupal on the host server manually (FTP) or using hosted modules
- Drupal architecture
- Core Modules
- Core Themes
- Customization using HTML/CSS
- Produce a working multi-page Drupal website
- Compare and contrast WordPress and Drupal
|Methods of Evaluation - |
- Completed student projects
- Participation in class critiques
- Classroom discussions
|Representative Text(s) - |
|Appropriate software and instructor generated materials. |
|Disciplines - |
|Graphic Design, Computer Information Systems |
|Method of Instruction - |
- Electronic discussions/chat
|Lab Content - |
- Storyboard website
- Install WordPress
- Tour Administration Screens
- Set up site
- Customize site using themes, widgets, and plugins
- Install Drupal
- Drupal Architecture/Admin Tour
- Install modules and themes
- Working with content/customization
- Presentation of WordPress / Drupal for a client
|Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
- Example of required reading assignments
- WordPress online documentation
- Drupal online documentation
- Example of required writing assignment
- Content for WordPress page
- Content for Drupal website
- Description of website and the URL if live