|Description - |
|Students will gain practical experience in the application of production management responsibilities in any of the following: stage management, house management, production management, or technical department management.|
|Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- Demonstrate proficiency in the terminology and processes necessary to run a technical department or supervise a cast and crew during the production of a play or musical.
- Employ basic organizational skills required to run a technical department or supervise cast and crew in the production of a play or musical.
- Demonstrate the ability to work cooperatively with designers, directors, technicians and cast in the production of play ro musical.
|Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|Rehearsal space with an unobstructed, flat floor, approximately 30' x 40' for rehearsal. Fully-equipped theatre for performance; make-up studio and dressing room facilities. Fully equipped scenic shop. |
|Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Assignment to production and performance responsibilities (L-L)
- Preparation for production including processes and forms required.(Lab)
- Psychology of group dynamics including Maslow's hierarchy of needs (L-L)
- Theatre management terminology.(Lab)
- Recognize and demonstrate collaborative responsibilities with the director, designers, and crew supervisors.(Lab)
- Demonstrate and apply basic skills in running a production or theatre. (Lab)
- Organize and schedule the design, creation and implementation of production elements with the assistance of an assigned crew. (Lab)
|Methods of Evaluation - |
- Evaluation of individual projects in technical theatre production.
- Faculty observation and performance review
- Skill demonstrations
- Final evaluation of performance responsibilities and outcomes
|Representative Text(s) - |
|Production scripts and instructor handouts. |
|Disciplines - |
|Theatre Technology |
|Method of Instruction - |
- Cooperative learning exercises
- Oral presentations
|Lab Content - |
- Participation and observation of rehearsal process for scheduled production.
- Perform various productions support functions dependent on the demands of costumes, set construction, properties, lighting, etc.
- Design, create or facilitate production elements for the stage as required by the production
|Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
- Read scripts for production preparation.
- Read and assess background materials for production preparation and relevance.
- Research materials and methods of implementing required production elements