|1. Description - |
|Students will play an 18-hole round of golf utilizing a variety of swing skills and clubs (ie woods, irons, wedge, putter). Both long and short game skills and strategies will be incorporated on the course. Students will learn to apply rules of golf and course etiquette during play.|
|Advisory: Students are expected to have previously gained an understanding of and proficiency with basic golf swings for a variety of club types; no previous golf course experience is necessary; this course is included in the Individual Sports family of activity courses.|
|2. Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- Utilize the golf skills developed from prior instructional golf classes.
- Transfer practice skills to playing skills.
- Understand the concept of course management.
- Demonstrate a good understanding of the basic rules and etiquette of the game.
|3. Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
- Golf Course
- Golf clubs
|4. Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Continue to develope personal skills in: Lab
- Fairway woods
- Sand shots
- Understanding course management : Lab
- Recognizing shot distances
- Proper club selection
- Shot choices or strategies
- Maintaing concentration and focus.
- Knowing the basic rules of the game : Lab
- Rules concerning hazards
- Basic understanding of the local rules.
- Etiquette : Lab
- Pace of play.
- Ready golf.
- Positioning of self and equipment.
- Courteous on the putting green.
- Continuous putting
|5. Repeatability - Moved to header area.|
|6. Methods of Evaluation - |
- Continual development of skills assessed by the instructor.
- Personal score cards.
|7. Representative Text(s) - |
|United States Golf Association (USGA) Rules of Golf, Hamlyn, 2012. |
|8. Disciplines - |
|Physical Education |
|9. Method of Instruction - |
|Lecture and Demonstration. |
|10. Lab Content - |
|Putting, Chipping, Pitching and Driving. |
|11. Honors Description - No longer used. Integrated into main description section.|
|12. Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
|Not applicable. |
|13. Need/Justification - |
|This course satisfies the Foothill GE Requirement for Area VII, Lifelong Learning. |