An error has occurred (cannot find SLOs).
|Description - |
|An overview and application of Google Sketchup to three-dimensional rendering for the landscape designer. Emphasizing the basics of drawing setup, creation and editing, this class will show the designers how to turn their 2D drawings into a presentation drawing that illustrates their ideas in photo-like rendering techniques. Importing and use of the three-dimensional tools available in the free Sketchup download will be included in the instruction. Intended for students seeking a landscape design career or professionals upgrading their skills.|
|Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- Exhibit an understanding of the use of three dimensional software in landscape design
- Prepare drawings using the Sketchup program.
- Utilize the terminology appurtenant to three dimensional software.
- Understand the cross-cultural applications for computer aided design.
|Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
- Computer lab
- Google Sketchup software
- Windows software
- Student storage devices such as thumb drives.
|Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Introduction to three dimensional applications of Sketchup to landscape design
- Overview of the software
- Uses and practical applications given design business size and structure
- Using Sketchup to prepare landscape drawings
- Drawing import and setup
- Drawing tools and their use
- Inserting objects and rendering
- Manipulating drawings
- Printing and exporting drawings
- Symbol libraries within the program and on the internet
- Utilize terms to describe the features and applications of the software.
- Use proper program commands
- Use proper terminology for exporting and printing
- Identify the applications of the software to different types of projects and cultures.
- State where the program can be applied to landscaping in various regions of the country or world.
|Methods of Evaluation - |
- Preparing design projects using Sketchup software that demonstrate mastery of the program tools drawing layout.
- Skills demonstrations using the tools described in lecture and presentations.
|Representative Text(s) - |
|Tal, Daniel. Google SketchUp for Site Design: A Guide to Modeling Site Plans, Terrain and Architecture. first edition. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley and Sons, 2009. |
|Disciplines - |
|Ornamental Horticulture |
|Method of Instruction - |
- Lecture on the application of three-dimensional drawing for landscape design presentation.
- Presentation of drawing tools used to construct Sketchup drawings.
- Discussions about the use of the program and resolution of problems with using the program.
- In-class preparation of drawings using the Sketchup software.
|Lab Content - |
|Not applicable. |
|Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
- Students will be expected to download software on their personal computer.
- Students will be required to work on drawing assignments out of class where they prepare 2D and 3D drawings recreating scenes and plans typically found in landscape design.
- Reading assignments include:
- Approx. 5 pages per week from ETUDES information.
- Approx. 20 to 30 pages per week from assigned text.