|1. Description - |
|Continuation into the intermediate fundamentals of Modern technique and training. Includes the intermediate vocabulary and practice of center floor and across the floor exercises.|
|Prerequisite: DANC 2A.|
|Advisory: This course is included in the Dance Technique family of activity courses.|
|2. Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- perform the exercises of intermediate Modern Technique including center floor warm-up and across the floor combinations.
- define the traditional vocabulary of steps in the intermediate Modern syllabus.
- explain the progression and purpose of the specific order of intermediate classroom exercises.
- analyze the historical development of Modern Dance.
- increase body awareness and confidence.
- apply the concepts of proper alignment and placement in all activities.
- recognize Modern Dance as both a physical discipline and an artistic expression.
|3. Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|Dance Studio, comfortable exercise clothing and appropriate Modern dance shoes. |
|4. Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Center floor barre exercises
- Across the floor
- Grand Jete
- Pas de chat
- Tour jete
- Sissonne tombe
- Historical analysis of Modern Dance
- sources and influences of historical periods on Modern Dance styles
- transition from highly specialized training to a universal form of exercise
- Artistic References
- reference to contemporary dance companies and performances
- sources and styles of accompaniment for Modern Dance
|5. Repeatability - Moved to header area.|
|6. Methods of Evaluation - |
- Evaluation of performance skills through the Intermediate level
- Objective exams
- Cooperative learning assignments
- Critique of live dance performance
|7. Representative Text(s) - |
|Penrod, James and Janice Gudde. The Dancer Prepares: Modern Dance for Beginners, Fifth Edition. New York, NY: McGraw Hill, 2008. |
|8. Disciplines - |
|9. Method of Instruction - |
- Lecture presentations and classroom discussions using the terminology and language of Intermediate Modern Dance.
- Cooperative learning exercises.
- Laboratory and Demonstration.
|10. Lab Content - |
- Demonstration and practice of Intermediate Modern across the floor exercises.
- Demonstration and practice of Intermediate Modern center floor exercises.
- Demonstration and practice of proper body awareness and alignment.
|11. Honors Description - No longer used. Integrated into main description section.|
|12. Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
|Written critique of a live dance performance, optional writing exercises based on recommended reading. |
|13. Need/Justification - |
|This course satisfies the Foothill GE Requirement for Area VII, Lifelong Learning. |