|1. Description - |
|Introduction to the elementary fundamentals of Modern Dance technique and training. Course includes the basic vocabulary and practice of beginning Modern center barre and floor exercises.|
|Advisories: This course is included in the Dance Technique family of activity courses; not open to students with credit in DANC 2 or H P 32.|
|2. Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- perform the fundamental exercises of beginning modern dance including center floor combinations.
- define the traditional vocabulary of positions and steps in the beginning modern dance class syllabus.
- identify and explain the progression exercises of the specific order of individual classroom exercises.
- analyze the historical development of modern dance.
- increase body awareness and confidence.
- recognize modern dance relationship to artistic references.
- appreciate classical and contemporary music as an integral part of the dance class.
|3. Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
- Dance studio and Audio set-up.
- Appropriate exercise/dance attire and shoes.
|4. Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Center floor exercises
- Movement phrases
- Small jumps
- Big jumps
- Steps and positions
- Fall and rebound
- Curves of the back
- Use of breath
- Leg swings
- Grande battement
- Historical analysis of modern dance
- Sources and influences of historical periods on the evolution of modern dance
- Transition from classical to modern as an accepted form of performance
- Body Awareness
- Endurance and coordination
- Artistic References
- Reference to contemporary dance companies
- Sources and styles of musical accompaniment
|5. Repeatability - Moved to header area.|
|6. Methods of Evaluation - |
- Periodic instructor evaluation of performance skills
- Demonstration and explanation of selected exercises
- Written critique on a live dance performance
- Final written test on vocabulary and concepts of beginning modern dance technique
|7. Representative Text(s) - |
|Penrod, James and Janice Gudde. The Dancer Prepares: Modern Dance for Beginners,. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill College. 2008. |
|8. Disciplines - |
|9. Method of Instruction - |
- Lecture presentations and classroom discussion using the language of beginning modern dance technique
- Cooperative learning exercises.
- Laboratory and Demonstration
|10. Lab Content - |
- Demonstration and practice of beginning Modern dance exercises floor and center barre.
- Demonstration and practice of beginning Modern dance technique across the floor.
- Demonstration and practice of proper body awareness and alignment.
|11. Honors Description - No longer used. Integrated into main description section.|
|12. Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
|Written critique of a live dance performance, optional writing exercises based on recommended reading. |
|13. Need/Justification - |
|This course satifies the Foothill GE Requirements for Area VII, Lifelong Learning. |