|Student Learning Outcomes -|
- Identify intermediate steps and combinations of intermediate contemporary dance technique with correct terminology and analyze musical phrasing.
- Perform the intermediate exercises of contemporary dance technique while exhibiting proper body placement, coordination and flexibility.
|Description - |
|Continuation into the intermediate Contemporary Dance technique and training. Includes the intermediate vocabulary and practice of barre, center floor exercises and across the floor combinations.|
|Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- perform the exercises of intermediate contemporary technique including warm up and center floor combinations.
- define the traditional vocabulary of steps in the intermediate contemporary class syllabus.
- explain the progression and purpose of the specific order of intermediate classroom exercises.
- analyze the historical development of contemporary dance.
- increase body awareness and confidence.
- apply the concepts of proper alignment and placement in all activities.
- recognize contemporary dance as both a physical discipline and an artistic expression.
- appreciate music as an integral part of the contemporary dance class experience.
|Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
- Dance Studio and Audio/Sound equipment.
- Exercise clothing and appropriate shoes (ballet and/or character shoe).
|Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Barre exercises
- Ron de jambe a terre
- Petit battement
- Grand battement
- Center Floor exercises
- petit allegro
- grand allegro
- Across the Floor
- Historical analysis of Contemporary Dance
- sources and influences of historical periods on contemporary style
- transition from highly specialized training to a universal form of exercise
- Body Awareness
- Artistic references
- reference to contemporary dance companies and performances
- sources and styles of musical accompaniment for Contemporary dance class.
|Methods of Evaluation - |
- Evaluation of performance skills through the intermediate level
- Objective exams
- Collaborative learning assignments
- Written critique of dance performance
|Representative Text(s) - |
|Ryan, Walter J. Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet. 2011. |
|Disciplines - |
|Method of Instruction - |
- Lecture presentations and classroom discussions using the language of intermediate contemporary dance.
- Cooperative learning exercises.
- Laboratory and Demonstration.
|Lab Content - |
- Demonstration and practice of intermediate Contemporary barre exercises.
- Demonstration and practice of intermediate Contemporary across the floor exercises and combinations.
- Demonstration and practice of proper body awareness and alignment.
|Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
|Written critique of live dance performance, optional writing exercises based on recommended reading. |