An error has occurred (cannot find SLOs).
|Description - |
|Intermediate instruction using computers, digital tablets and software to produce digital paintings and images for artistic expression, design and illustration.|
|Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- Familiarity with interactive computers, digital tablets, drawing and painting software.
- Working knowledge of various computer drawing and painting operations.
- Skill in creating and manipulating visual materials.
- Awareness of interdisciplinary applications of drawing and computer painting software.
- Understanding of artistic contributions made by people from diverse cultures and backgrounds in digital artwork.
- Understanding of careers in digital art, illustration and animation.
|Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
- Lecture/lab room with high-resolution color graphics terminals, plotter or ink-jet printers, current computer drawing and painting software, and hardware as required when taught on campus.
- When taught via Foothill Global Access: on-going access to computer, digital tablets, and other interface methods with Email software and capabilities; Email address; Java-script enabled internet browsing software.
|Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- History of computer art and graphics, specifically computer drawing and painting.
- Relationship of digital drawing and painting to traditional painting methods.
- Principles of visual communication in digital art.
- Observation of contemporary examples of digital art, drawings, painting and related products.
- Intermediate use Interactive digital drawing and painting software programs
- Intermediate and complex digital operations required for creating graphics, including file and disk management.
- Laboratory Practice:
- Using computer intermediate and complex paint software and computer operations to create digital artwork
- Developing, manipulating, and editing complex images in digital painting and drawing.
- Completion of course assignments and requirements using digital painting using traditional and experimental methods
|Methods of Evaluation - |
- Instructor's review and grading of assigned course work.
- Class and lab participation.
|Representative Text(s) - |
|Beccia, Carlyn. Digital Painting for the Complete Beginner. Watson Guptill, 2012. paperback. |
Threnien-Pendarvis, Cher. The Painter Wow! Book. Peachpit Press, 2011. Paperback.
|Disciplines - |
|Art, Graphic Arts |
|Method of Instruction - |
- Electronic discussions/chat
|Lab Content - |
|Laboratory Practice: |
- Using complex digital drawing and painting software and computer operations
- Developing, manipulating, and editing images, drawing, painting in digital formats.
- Digital painting using software, tablets, computers.
- Creating preliminary conceptual sketches in preparation for digital drawing and painting.
- Completion of multiple drawing and painting assignments.
- Compilation of a digital portfolio inclusive of digital painting
|Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
G.Researching Digital Art, Illustration and Animation as part of the course online web based research.
- Create multiple versions of digital art work such as abstract art, landscape painting, still life painting, expressionistic artwork and illustrations using drawing and painting software programs,
- Interface exploration through 5 specific painting assignments, using digital tools and techniques to learn how to cut, copy, paste, use layers, use multiple digital paintbrushes and use digital pa.pers and textures.
- Practice using new technique with digital tablets, iPads, and computers in creating digital artwork using Adobe Photoshop and Corel Painter software
- Exploring traditional drawing and painting techniques using digital tools such as computers to create no less then five examples of digital artwork.
- Reading materials for: Careers in Digital Art and Design
- Digital Art in cultural contexts
Reading textbook lessons on methods to create art using oil, watercolor, acrylic, and pastel digital painting methods.