|1. Description - |
|Study of music creation applications and practices on Apple iOS-based devices (iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad). Primary emphasis on music sequencing, music performance, audio distribution and music theory. Secondary emphasis on audio sampling, recording and mixing. iOS-compatible audio, MIDI and video interfaces. USB and wireless syncing. Inter-app protocols such as AudioCopy/AudioPaste and Virtual MIDI.|
|2. Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- Demonstrate an understanding of numerous Apple iOS-based musical applications. B. Demonstrate practical usage of iOS apps in the disciplines of music sequencing and performance.
- Demonstrate practical usage of iOS apps in the disciplines of audio recording, sampling and distribution.
- Discuss music theory as related to iOS music creation.
- Demonstrate knowledge of iOS device music-related peripheral hardware.
- Demonstrate knowledge of music-based iOS inter-app protocols.
|3. Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
- When taught on campus: Classroom sound equipment for compact discs, overhead projector, DVD player.
|4. Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Generative and Environmental Apps.
- Demonstration and application of Bloom app.
- Demonstration and application of Mixtikl app.
- Demonstration and application of RJDJ app.
- Performance Apps.
- Demonstration and application of Bebot app.
- Demonstration and application of SoundPrism app.
- Demonstration and application of MorphWiz app.
- Demonstration and application of LoogSeq app.
- Grid-based Sequencing.
- Demonstration and application of SoundGrid app.
- Demonstration and application of PixelWave app.
- Apple GarageBand app.
- Demonstration and application of Smart Instruments.
- Demonstration and application of Audio Sampling.
- Demonstration and application of Linear Sequencing.
- Demonstration and application of Audio Recording.
- Demonstration and application of Audio Mixing.
- Demonstration and application of distribution methods for iOS-derived content.
- Synchronization with desktop computers.
- USB synchronization.
- Wireless synchronization.
- Cloud-based synchronization.
- Demonstration and application of SoundCloud app and Web site.
- Demonstration and application of iOS-compatible hardware interface devices.
- Audio interfaces.
- MIDI interfaces.
- Video interfaces.
- Demonstration and application of iOS music-related inter-app protocols.
- Virtual MIDI.
|5. Repeatability - Moved to header area.|
|6. Methods of Evaluation - |
- Written examinations on specific apps and disciplines, as well as general knowledge of iOS operation and protocols, as related to music creation.
- Creation of sound examples in various apps.
- Discussion of current and future capabilities of iOS software and hardware.
- Weekly Web-based research projects.
|7. Representative Text(s) - |
|All written materials provided by instructor. |
|8. Disciplines - |
|Commercial Music Music |
|9. Method of Instruction - |
|Lecture, Discussion, Web research, Electronic discussions/chat, Musical performance, Laboratory, Demonstration. |
|10. Lab Content - |
- Develop workflows for iOS-based music creation.
- Design arrangements of audio samples.
- Create musical compositions and sequences.
|11. Honors Description - No longer used. Integrated into main description section.|
|12. Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
- Write a review of an iOS music application.
- Read the blog of an iOS music app developer.
|13. Need/Justification - |
|This course is a restricted support course for the AA degree in Music Technology. |