|Student Learning Outcomes -|
- demonstrate knowledge of landscape design software command skills through development of an appropriate landscape design project.
- utilize the terminology appurtenant to computer aided design software.
|Description - |
|Introduction to the use of computer applications in landscape design. Overview of software for computer aided design and drafting (CADD), and related landscape graphic oriented software. Focus on development of basic command skills utilized in landscape design software applications, including 2D drawing, editing, creation of layers, exporting to other programs and as a pdf for printing. Vectorworks software is utilized in this course.|
|Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- Exhibit an understanding of the principles of computer aided design and drafting software through a series of class exercises.
- Select appropriate software available to landscape designers and other green industry professionals.
- Prepare and produce drawings using CADD programs.
- Demonstrate knowledge of landscape design software command skills through development of an appropriate landscape design project.
- Utilize the terminology appurtenant to computer aided design software.
- Understand the cross-cultural applications for computer aided design.
|Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|CAD laboratory with computer work stations, CADD software, and a multi-media projection system. Students provide printer supplies and other relevant drafting equipment or supplies necessary to complete exercises and projects. Students provide drawing storage media (thumb drive or equivalent). Students may purchase software used in class through publisher. |
|Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Introduction to computer applications in landscape design
- Types of computer software used in landscape design and the green industry.
- Overview of computer aided design and drafting software.
- Practical applications given design business size and structure
- General software terminology
- Cross-cultural applications for CADD
- Computer Aided Design and Drafting
- Underlying principles
- Design nomenclature (entity drafting, layers, dimensioning, grids, etc.)
- Basic commands
- Drawing files
- Menu structure
- Symbol libraries
- Related software
- Printing and exporting drawings
|Methods of Evaluation - |
- Participation through attendance
- Weekly exercises
- Final project
|Representative Text(s) - |
|Pickup, Jonathan; Vectorworks Essentials Tutorial Manual, 6 ed. Nemetschek Vectorworks, Inc, Columbia Maryland; 2014. |
|Disciplines - |
|Environmental Horticulture & Design |
|Method of Instruction - |
- Participate in discussions.
- Engage in lab activities.
- Read assigned reading activities.
- Perform self-guided research
|Lab Content - |
- Preparing designs using CADD.
- Drawing setup
- Drawing rendering
- Drawing editing
- Manipulating drawings using CADD.
- Creating symbols
- Changing layers and classes
- Printing CADD drawings.
|Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
- Reading assignments will include reading approximately 5-10 pages per week from ETUDES information.
- Lectures will address reading topics and experiences of instructor. Classroom discussion and demonstrations in support of lecture topics will be provided.