|1. Description - |
|Avid Pro Tools Certified training material covers concepts and skills needed to operate Pro Tools in a professional recording studio environment. Introduction to Pro Tools HD system configurations. Pro Tools HD features including control surfaces, automation, advanced editing, mixing, hardware setup and session management. Practical examples and experience with exercise files from professional music, film and TV productions. Required class for Avid Pro Tools Operator Level Certification. Prepares for enrollment in Pro Tools 300 Expert Level Certification Courses.|
|2. Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- Configure Pro Tools HD workstations, customizing session requirements.
- Demonstrate multi-format session management techniques.
- Perform advanced digital audio editing techniques including selection techniques. time operations and media alignment.
- Write automation in any mode, automate plug-ins and suspend automation.
- Operate a music production project with over 128 tracks of real time streaming digital audio.
|3. Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
- When taught on campus:
- Classroom with Pro Tools HD AAX recording system and 16 channel 192 interface.
- Digital control surface.
- Classroom with 30 Pro Tools Native recording systems.
- 30 Apple iMacs.
- Apple Macintosh Mac Pro with at least 8Gb of RAM and 24 inch monitor.
- Projection system for video and multimedia content.
- When taught via Foothill Global Access:
- On-going access to computer with Email software and capabilities.
- Email address.
- Java-script enabled internet browsing software.
|4. Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Study and analysis of Avid 201 level approved curriculum.
- Advanced Multitrack editing using Voltage Controlled Amplifiers and region groups. (Lec, L-L, Lab)
- Application of AAX and RTAS plug-in effects using expanded buss architecture of larger Pro Tools systems. (Lec, L-L, Lab)
- Digital audio concepts, sound frequency, Amplitude, Sample Rate and Quantization. (Lec, L-L, Lab)
- Mixing Techniques including compensation for DSP induced latency and Digital Audio Engine Buffers. (Lec, L-L, Lab)
- Track signal flow as applied to large scale production environments. (Lec, L-L, Lab)
- Advanced automation only available on Pro Tools HD hardware configurations. (Lec, L-L, Lab)
- Instrument tracks and virtual instruments within the Pro Tools environment. (Lec, L-L, Lab)
|5. Repeatability - Moved to header area.|
|6. Methods of Evaluation - |
- Written assignments that analyze, compare and contrast Pro Tools production techniques.
- Designing and assembling a master production that demonstrates an understanding of the Pro Tools environment.
- Tests on workflow, file management, DSP allocation and digital audio theory as presented in the Pro Tools 201 curriculum.
|7. Representative Text(s) - |
|Cook, Andrew. Pro Tools 201. Daly City, California: Digidesign Publications 2008. |
|8. Disciplines - |
|Commercial Music |
|9. Method of Instruction - |
|10. Lab Content - |
|Lab content includes topics such as: |
- track count
- elastic audio settings and rendering levels
- plug in and bus considerations
- insert tracks and routing importing and exporting file types
- bit rate encoding
- bouncing audio to disk
- consolidating audio regions, etc.
- Other items may include subjects such as number of plug ins per insert track, bus assignments for efficient recording operation, and mastering compression settings.
|11. Honors Description - No longer used. Integrated into main description section.|
|12. Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
- Written critiques and analyses of audio production projects including albums, soundtracks, television, video games and Internet multi-media.
- Written summaries documenting technical and artistic elements for corresponding submitted assignments and audio projects.
- Written proposals, session logs, learning outcomes and reflections supporting submitted musical works and final master recordings.
|13. Need/Justification - |
|This course is a restricted support course for the AA degree in Music Technology and a required core course for the Certificate of Achievement in Pro Tools. |