|Student Learning Outcomes -|
- Student applies theoretical knowledge to problem solving around care giving of families and elders in the community.
- Student delivers appropriate links to a community based service for a needy elder.
- Student uses appropriate gerontological vocabulary.
|Description - |
|Work experience as volunteers or employees in age-related services to be taken after the course work is completed, or with permission of the instructor. Students must either: a) complete 72 hours of volunteer time in an agency approved by the instructor; or b) if already employed in an aging related program, design and implement a special project approved by the instructor.|
|Course Objectives - |
|The students will be able to: |
- Demonstrate skills in working with older adults related to the setting for their work experience.
- Describe the learning experience from their completed practicum.
|Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Identification of appropriate setting for work experience
- Proposal to the instructor
- Approval by the instructor
- Work experience - students must either:
- Complete 72 hours of volunteer time in an agency serving older adults, or
- If already employed in an aging-related program, design and implement a special project approved by the instructor. The project must be
- Approximately 72 hours
- Not regularly included in their work assignment
- Journal their experiences and submit
- Final paper describing the knowledge and skills learned
|Methods of Evaluation - |
- Journal of experiences
- Final paper
- Report from work experience supervisor
|Representative Text(s) - |
|None required. |
|Disciplines - |
|Method of Instruction - |
- One on one advising
|Lab Content - |
- Field placement experience
|Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
|Students are required to keep a reflection journal. |