|Student Learning Outcomes -|
- Perform the fundamental exercises of elementary Ballet Technique, demonstrating correct body placement and positions while exhibiting flexibility, coordination and core strength.
- Identify ballet steps and combinations with correct terminology and analyze musical accompaniment and phrasing.
|Description - |
|Introduction to the elementary fundamentals of classical ballet technique and training. Course includes the basic vocabulary and practice of beginning barre and center floor exercises.|
|Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- perform the fundamental exercises of elementary ballet technique including barre warm-up and center floor combinations.
- define the traditional vocabulary of steps in the elementary ballet class syllabus.
- identify and explain the progression and purpose of the specific order of classroom exercises.
- analyze the historical development of ballet dancing.
- increase body awareness and confidence.
- apply the concepts of proper alignment and placement in all activities.
- recognize ballet as both a physical discipline and an artistic expression.
- appreciate classical music as an integral part of the ballet class.
|Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|Dance studio, comfortable exercise clothing and proper ballet shoes. |
|Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Barre exercises
- rond de jambe a terre
- rond de jambe a l'aire
- grande battement
- Center floor exercises
- petit allegro
- grande allegro
- Historical analysis of ballet dancing
- sources and influences of historical periods on ballet styles
- transition from highly specialized training to a universal form of exercise
- Body awareness
- endurance coordination
- Artistic references
- reference to contemporary dance companies and performances
- sources and styles of musical accompaniment for ballet class
|Methods of Evaluation - |
|The following evaluation methods may include but are not limited to: |
- observation of performance skills through the beginning level
- Objective exams
- Cooperative learning assignments
- Term papers
|Representative Text(s) - |
|Ryan, Walter J. Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet. 2011 |
|Disciplines - |
|Method of Instruction - |
|Lecture presentations and classroom discussion using the language of classical ballet technique, Discussion, Cooperative learning exercises, Laboratory, Demonstration. |
|Lab Content - |
|Lab content may include, but is not limited to the following: |
- Demonstration and practice of beginning ballet barre exercises
- Demonstration and practice of beginning ballet center floor exercises
- Demonstration and practice of proper boy awareness and alignment
|Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
|Written critique of a live dance performance, optional writing exercises based on recommended reading. |