|Student Learning Outcomes -|
- Demonstrate cardiovascular fitness improvements in a personal strength program
- Demonstrate safe and appropriate use of strength apparatus and tools.
- Demonstrate knowledge of High Intensity Interval Training and how it benefits the muscular and cardiovascular systems of the human body.
|Description - |
|An intense total body workout to improve endurance and strengthen and define every muscle using high intensity intervals. This type of training is an effective way to train taking fitness to the next level. Students must provide their own fitness mat.|
|Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- Define and explain components of health related fitness and design an aerobic training program for improvement of cardiovascular health.
- Identify, measure and evaluate personal fitness level and progress toward optimal fitness.
- Demonstrate correct biomechanics related to each strength and flexibility exercise.
- Recognize basic physiological and psychological benefits of a regular aerobic training program.
- Explain the basic purpose of progression in exercise program and every exercise session.
- Describe the benefits of an aerobic dance program as a life long activity.
- Understand the principles of core training and the overall benefits of core control.
|Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|Fitness mat and comfortable clothing |
|Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Fitness Components
- Muscular strength, endurance, flexibility; cardiovascular endurance; body composition.
- Cardiovascular principles: activity, frequency, intensity, duration.
- Pre and Post test
- 1-mile run and perceived exertion
- sit-ups and push-up test
- flexibility: (reclined hamstring stretch), (dog and hand-lock) and (cobra)
- Instructor provides explanation and demonstration of basic dance moves
- instructor allows for repetition of dance moves without music and with music before increasing speed of movement or complexity of moves (choreography)
- instructor provides modifications and variations as needed for safety and challenge
- Benefits of aerobic exercise combined with strength
- physiological development ‚ƒì heart health and promote muscle growth
- psychological ‚ƒì self knowledge, self awareness, improved confidence
|Methods of Evaluation - |
- Written and/or oral evaluation will be made by instructor regarding students knowledge related to:
- Benefits or aerobic training; types of aerobic activity; safety and injury prevention techniques (warm-up/cool-down); fitness components and prescription of aerobic exercise program.
|Representative Text(s) - |
|Hopson, Janet L., Donatelle, Rebecca J., Littrell, Tanya R. " Get Fit, Stay Well!". 2nd edition. Glenview, IL: Pearson Education, 2009. |
|Disciplines - |
|Physical Education |
|Method of Instruction - |
|During periods of instruction the student will be performing and participating in high intensity circuits using different equipment to elevate their heart rate and increase their muscular strength and endurance. |
|Lab Content - |
|Lab content may contain but not limited to: |
- heart rate and how it relates to different levels of fitness
- basic anatomy - demonstrating knowledge of muscles trained during specific exercise
- Identifying current fitness levels and constructing goals
|Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
|Optional reading and writing assignments as recommended by instructor. |