|1. Description - |
|Studio practice in designing and creating original ceramic sculpture.|
|Prerequisite: ART 45A.|
|Advisory: Concurrent enrollment in ART 44L; this course is included in the Ceramic Construction family of activity courses.|
|2. Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- Conceptualize and design original ceramic sculpture
- Create ceramic sculpture by using additive and subtractive building methods, armatures, and methods of surface decoration.
- Use several techniques to create a finished surface for these works.
|3. Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|Clay, ceramic extruder, slab roller, kilns, glaze materials, sculpting tools, banding wheels, spray booth, potters wheel. |
|4. Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
|Instructor will lecture, demonstrate, use audio-visual aids and present projects for students to do. Topics to be covered are: |
- The principles of design: balance, form, surface, rhythm, use of color, and visual terminations.
- Technical methods: additive and subtractive techniques of hand-building, the use of armatures, and glazing and decorating techniques.
- Formal concepts: making realistic forms, making abstract forms, and designing sculpture to express specific concepts.
|5. Repeatability - Moved to header area.|
|6. Methods of Evaluation - |
|Evaluation will be by critique of works in progress and finished pieces using criteria of design and technique presented in class. All assigned projects will be graded by instructor. |
|7. Representative Text(s) - |
|The classroom library will provide a variety of texts for student use. |
|8. Disciplines - |
|9. Method of Instruction - |
|Lecture, Discussion, Laboratory, Demonstration, Field trips. |
|10. Lab Content - |
|Supervised studio practice in ceramics processes, related to skills and materials. Students work independently, with individual guidance from an instructor on a need or request basis. |
|11. Honors Description - No longer used. Integrated into main description section.|
|12. Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
|Not applicable. |
|13. Need/Justification - |
|This course is a restricted support course for the AA degrees and Certificate of Achievements in Art Survey and Studio Arts. |