|Student Learning Outcomes -|
- A successful student demonstrate and apply graphic design and related skills in a professional environment.
- A successful student will apply professional communication and teamwork skills.
- A successful student will demonstrate the ability to work under supervision and direction.
- A successful student will relate experience and skills acquired to classroom didactic learning.
|Description - |
|Off-campus supervised experiential education of graphic and interactive design students. Opportunity for practical application of knowledge, skills and abilities acquired in graphic and design as well as other related course work. Opportunity for additional hands-on training in all aspects graphic design. Exposure to varied protocols, methodologies and practices in a professional working environment.|
|Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- Demonstrate and apply graphic design and related skills in a professional environment
- Demonstrate and apply professional communication and teamwork skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to work under supervision and direction
- Relate experience and skills acquired to classroom didactic learning.
|Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
- A classroom with projections equipment and standard drawing tables and desks.
- When taught via Foothill Global Access: on-going access to computer with Email software and capabilities; Email address; Java-script enabled internet browsing software.
|Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
|The student will receive professional instruction and supervision by an expert in their field and in a professional graphic design studio. This may include a corporation, a public agency etc. They will assist with various graphic design projects in accordance with the Secretary??s Commission on Achieving Necessary Skills (SCANS) competencies. |
- Basic Skills
- Writing, mathematics
- Critical Thinking
- thinking creatively
- solving problems
- knowing how to learn new skills
- making decisions when appropriate
- Personal Qualities
- Individual responsibility
- Development of self-esteem
- Sociability, working on a team
- Productively use
- Resources: allocating time, money, materials, space and personnel.
- Information: acquiring and evaluating data, organizing and maintaining files, interpreting and communicating and using computers to process information.
- Systems: Understanding social, organizational, and technical systems, monitoring and correcting performance and designing or improving systems.
- Technology: Selecting equipment and tools, applying technology to specific tasks, and maintaining and troubleshooting technologies.
- Interpersonal skills: Working on teams, teaching others, serving customers, leading, negotiating and working well with people from culturally diverse backgrounds.
- Introduction to supervision and management
- Workplace environment acclimatization
- Job requirements understanding and fulfillment
- Briefing by supervisor
- Development of internship goals and objectives
|Methods of Evaluation - |
- Verification of attendance and completion of goals and objectives
- Written evaluation by supervisor
- Final summary report by student
|Representative Text(s) - |
|Disciplines - |
|Graphic & Interactive Design |
|Method of Instruction - |
|Electronic discussions/chat, Laboratory, |
|Lab Content - |
- writing project based design briefs
- sketching thumbnail designs and concepts
- creating pencil drawn rough designs
- creating finished digital comprehensive desgin proofs
- writing a comprehensive analysis of each final project
|Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
|Instruction will include: |
- Reading Assignments: Weekly reading assignments from client internship manuals and from ETUDES class notes
- Writing Assignments: Mid-semester internship self evaluation report, Final internship self evaluation Report