|Student Learning Outcomes -|
- Describe the methods for the prevention of infection to the health care worker and the patient.
- Describe vital signs used to assess patient condition.
|Description - |
|Basic concepts of patient care, including consideration for the physical and psychological needs of the patient and family. Routine and emergency patient care procedures and techniques as well as infection control protocols. Intended for students in the radiologic technology program.|
|Course Objectives - |
|The student will be able to: |
- Identify patient situations that require critical-thinking and problem solving skills.
- Analyze effective methods of communicating with patients of various ages.
- Explain sources and modes of transmission of infection and disease.
- Describe the basic physical assistance and transfer techniques used in radiology departments.
- Explain the appropriate procedures for handling patients with various medical emergencies.
|Special Facilities and/or Equipment - |
|Classroom with multimedia equipment and Internet access. |
|Course Content (Body of knowledge) - |
- Critical Thinking and Problem Solving (Lec)
- Clinical Application
- Interpersonal Communication (Lec)
- Modes of Communication
- Verbal / written
- Challenges in Communication
- Patient Education
- Explanation of current procedure
- Respond to inquiries
- Infection Control (Lec)
- Terminology and Basic Concepts
- Cycle of Infection
- Source or reservoir of infection
- Susceptible host
- Method of transmission
- Standard Precautions
- Gloves / gowns
- Medical asepsis
- Additional or Transmission-Based Precautions
- Disposal of Contaminated Materials
- Patient supplies
- Physical Assistance and Transfer (Lec)
- Patient Transfer and Movement
- Assisting Patients with Medical Equipment
- Routine Monitoring
- Vital signs
- Physical signs and symptoms
- Medical Emergencies (Lec)
- Allergic Reactions
- Cardiac or Respiratory Arrest
- Physical Injury or Trauma
- Other Medical Disorders
|Methods of Evaluation - |
|Quizzes, midterms, assignments, and final examination. |
|Representative Text(s) - |
|Torres, Lillian. Basic Medical Techniques and Patient Care in Imaging Technology. 7th Edition. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott-Raven Publishers, 2010. ISBN 139780781771832 |
|Disciplines - |
|Radiologic Technology |
|Method of Instruction - |
|Lecture, Discussion, Demonstration, Group Activities. |
|Lab Content - |
|Not applicable. |
|Types and/or Examples of Required Reading, Writing and Outside of Class Assignments - |
- Weekly reading assignment from course syllabus and textbook.
- Writing assignments that relate to the topic being discussed.